Forums Latest Members
  1. Maximus84 Feb 28, 2015

Hi guys.

I'm thinking about changing the bracelet on my Speedy to the NATO that came in the box (the new big black one). It's not something I've done before and I'll be using the tools supplied in the box (spare spring bars, loupe and strap changing tool).

Anyone got any tips? I'd like to be able to change it back and forth should it take my fancy, but really don't want to risk scratching the lugs/case/bracelet.

I've heard that masking the lugs etc with electrical tape is a good idea but does anyone else have any advice?

Cheers!

2. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Feb 28, 2015

3. MikiJ Likes songs about Purple spices Feb 28, 2015

With all do respect: For the cost of the above recommended tools you could buy a really nice strap and a tool that works. I have only been changing straps since Item #FB500 was new and it works for me. Because it's hard plastic it is less harmful to steel lugs. It takes a little practic but it gets the job done. Don't get me wrong: The recommended tools are as good or better than it gets. However if you don't have several very valuable watches and you change straps like your wife changes shoes, you really don't need to spend that much money. Buy a great strap ;)

Nobel Prize likes this.
  4. chickenman26 Feb 28, 2015

waste of time.1.jpg

5. Maximus84 Feb 28, 2015

Thanks guys. Are we saying that the tool supplied in the box by Omega isn't really up to the job then? It's seems decent quality to me, and I'd assume it was the right size etc?

I'm also considering a nice leather strap too (not sure to go for black or brown yet, but I like the Hirsh range) so I'd like to have the confidence in myself and my tools to be able to switch around when I feel like it without trepidation!

6. chickenman26 Feb 28, 2015

It's fully up to the job. The question is, are you? You say you've never changed straps before? I'd suggest practicing on some cheapie watch first, rather than using your beautiful new Speedy as a guinea pig. Getting the bracelet off is the easy part, because the end pieces are notched for tool access. Once a tight fitting leather strap is attached, removal requires more care and patience to avoid either breaking the tool's fork, or gouging the lugs.

I

7. Maximus84 Feb 28, 2015

Good point. I'll have a look in my drawer as I'm sure I've still got a couple of old Quartz watches in there that I haven't used for years that I can practice on.

chickenman26 likes this.
  8. JG808 Feb 28, 2015

Definitely practice on an older watch first. Once you get the feel for it, tape off the lugs and work carefully. After you've done it a few times you'll probably find it a very easy thing to do.