Forums Latest Members
  1. bish789 Sep 20, 2014

What's everybody's views on Steinhart watches? They seem to be competitively priced and use a good movement. Over to you!!

2. Mothra Sep 20, 2014

Bish, there is a rabid hatred of fakes on this forum and the grey and fuzzy moral line when it comes to homage watches means they are also very barely tolerated. I wrote a review of mine (you can find it if you search on my username) but with hindsight I suspect the very generous owners of the forum probably would rather I hadn't and so I also wish I hadn't. One thing I will say is that the fact it isn't a Veblen brand, or vintage watch makes an significant difference to how I feel about it.

3. jopex Sep 21, 2014

I had a few and they were all nice bang for buck. I got bored with them really fast though and flipped them all. They were all easy to selI. I enjoyed apollon model the most and had it for longest period but it was too big for me.

[​IMG]

4. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Oct 15, 2014

Sorry a bit late to this thread...

I have serviced several Steinhart watches and their sister brand Debaufre. As noted they make watches that mostly look like other well known brands. Not outright fakes, because they don't trey to pass themselves off as those other brands by having the other brand name on the dial. Some of their models are fairly original designs.

Overall they use decent movements, and the watches are pretty well made. I have had some that did not pass the pressure testing at their rated depths, so I would take the depth ratings with a grain of salt - but then again no one really dives at 300 meters anyway.

Customer support has been good from what my clients have told me - in fact a few of the repairs I did were under warranty, where the owner said they would rather have their own watchmaker fix the problem, so I did the work, the owner of the watch paid me, and then the company paid them back.

Overall decent value for the money.

Cheers, Al

dlg likes this.
  5. peatnick Oct 15, 2014

I've had a few and flipped most, as noted they're affordable and fairly well made, though most are not original designs some are less obvious than others:

Ocean 2
    [​IMG]

Marine B-Uhr

[​IMG]

Lume is over the top :)

[​IMG]

Proteus, a group design from WUS, sounded like a good idea at the time . . .

[​IMG]

At 17mm tall was strictly a weekend wearer at first then a box queen

6. George.A Nov 4, 2014

I've had a Steinhart Marine 38 bought on the day of its release. Good quality for the price, but it laked a certain something so I ended up flipping it the next month. Not to mention it was a bit too thick at 12-13mm for a 38mm dress watch...

On the other hand I've seen a lot of comments like "you get 80% of Rolex quality for only 10% of the price" also from guys who own both a Rolex and a Steinhart. This shows they're pretty competitive for their price range.

7. dougiedude Carpe horologium! Nov 11, 2014

I have this, the Ocean Vintage Military:

DSC03294 (700x602).jpg which I haven't I worn much due to it's long L to L length on my small-ish wrists... bang for buck is quite correct, as the ETA/Sellita (they don't tell you which one) keeps excellent time, and the lume, even for it's vintage look, is great... fit and finish is very sharp, too...

Archer likes this.
  8. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Nov 12, 2014

I like that one - very nice indeed.

Cheers, Al

dougiedude likes this.
  9. George.A Nov 15, 2014

The only thing that kept me from buying that one was the miss-match between the wr on the dial (200m) and the one from the case back (300m). I'm fairly familiar with all the discussions about this, but it bothered me at the time. Otherwise it's a very nice watch for sure!

10. ulackfocus Nov 15, 2014

I'd like to know exactly who these guys are (Are they professional watchmakers? Do they write professional reviews for watch magazines?) and exactly how they measured that quality difference. To me, their statement is worthless without quantifiable comparison standards.

11. dougiedude Carpe horologium! Nov 15, 2014

Most of these "other guys" are just micro brand collector types (like I was before I discovered this Forum) giving their very limited experience opinions.

This one does have a pretty cool etched case back and signed crowned, however:

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

12. George.A Nov 15, 2014

What I took from their statement is that you get a solid Rolex look-a-like with decent finishing and powered by a proven workhorse with only a fraction of Rolex' price.