Forums Latest Members
  1. Habitant Oct 31, 2014

I have a cal.1481 (case is 166.0123, compressor back) which ought to have a split stem. The Cousins database only list the 'regular' 1106 stem. Does anyone know of a substitute split stem, perhaps from a different calibre? I've had a poke around and can't work out a method for working around this.

2. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Oct 31, 2014

Do you have either part of the stem now? Typically Omega split stems have the male part of the split on the portion that goes into the movement, and the female part on the portion that screws into the crown.

Omega only show a regular threaded stem for the Cal. 1480 and 1481. They do show the portion of the split stem that goes to the crown, so if you have the movement part all you need to order is #081ST9992 for the crown.

Note that sometimes the threads in the older crowns are smaller than the thread in this part is, so you may have to use a new crown - assuming your partial case reference is for a steel case, the crown is 069ST42064. If it's yellow gold you need 069SX42064.

If you don't have the movement half of the stem, you could order a regular stem and modify the end to make it work - not great but it can work.

Cheers, Al

3. Habitant Oct 31, 2014

Thanks, Al. I'll get my head into this and see if I can make it work. Currently have just the now-stock 1106 stem.

4. Habitant Oct 31, 2014

Would it be easier to find a inner stem similar to the 1480/1481/2481 and file that to match? I guess that was my question, really. Modifying the crown end would be almost impossible, wouldn't it?

5. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Oct 31, 2014

Okay what movement has a stem close enough that all you need to do is file it (I assuming the way you have said this means you have not made a stem before) and that has a male end split stem? That is the first challenge - how will you know what stem is close enough to "easily" modify? Without buying up a bunch of male split stems I'm not sure how you are going to determine that.

Female end (threads into the crown):

[​IMG]

Male end (has the operational parts of the stem on it and goes into the movement):

[​IMG]

In my view making the male end as shown above on a regular threaded stem is going to be way easier than "filing" some as yet unknown stem that you don't have in hand, down to make it work inside the movement. Using a file, punch, small hammer I think it would be possible to deform the threaded end of the stem you have now into this shape so it clips into the female portion of the split stem - it does not have to be nearly as accurate as making the working end of the stem the right dimensions. But hey, knock yourself out! ;)

Cheers, Al

6. Habitant Oct 31, 2014

You are wise, as always, oh sage of Upper Canada. Thanks, good advice. I will fire up the forge and don my smithy's bib. Don't know why this seemingly obvious solution didn't occur to me…