Forums Latest Members

Speedy Tuesday – Speedmaster Price Guide

1. Robert-Jan #SpeedyTuesday Sep 23, 2014

[​IMG]
    Every week we receive a lot of questions regarding Speedmaster prices. What’s a good price for this Omega Speedmaster 105.012 or what should I expect to pay for a Speedmaster Snoopy Award or a Speedmaster Gemini IV? We already helped starting collectors a bit forward with our two-part Speedmaster Buyer’s Guide here and here. However, we also thought it might be a good idea to create an Omega Speedmaster Price Guide. Speedmaster Price Guide To be able to create a price guide, there are several data sources you can use. It eventually will make a difference as well, whether you […]
    The post Speedy Tuesday – Speedmaster Price Guide appeared first on Fratello Watches.

Hexicon, NT931 and thehighwayjazz like this.
  2. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Sep 23, 2014

Well done Robert, good effort. Very useful for the modern watches.

For a more in depth price chart for vintage, don't forget the worlds first speedmaster price chart at http://www.speedmaster101.com/price-chart/

Mothra, Mods and Robert-Jan like this.
  3. Robert-Jan #SpeedyTuesday Sep 23, 2014

Hi,

Thanks. I didn't know about that chart to be honest. I made a link to that chart below our published chart.

RJ

Spacefruit likes this.
  4. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Sep 23, 2014

Interesting idea. However like Kelley Blue Book for Second hand car price guidance in US, your estimate is in high side (at least from my last 6 month observation). Nothing against that personally.

Robert-Jan likes this.
  5. Robert-Jan #SpeedyTuesday Sep 23, 2014

Hi,

Thanks. The prices mentioned are no estimates :) It is based on the prices on Chrono24 (I have a company that mines their data), I didn't make up the numbers :)

I took the average price per reference number (offered in the 1st half of 2014) and used it. Note that many offers are from Europe on Chrono24 (and by professional sellers), so these prices might be a bit higher than prices on forums (and from private sellers). However, it is meant to be a 'guidance' of course. Unfortunately, the actual sales prices are not being recorded by Chrono24, so I don't have these.

6. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Sep 23, 2014

I see. That's understandable, because there is famous "chrono24 premium". :D

Robert-Jan likes this.
  7. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Sep 23, 2014

Yes I too linked to the Fratello Site from the Speedmaster 101 chart.

Robert-Jan likes this.
  8. Robert-Jan #SpeedyTuesday Sep 23, 2014

Yes, I think that even for private sellers it isn't free anymore (made a lot of us Dutch cheap guys moving away from it) so they probably add the cost to the price. But I do think the prices are mainly somewhat higher than normal because of the number of dealers and because private sellers also think they are able to charge those prices :)

Privateday7 likes this.
  9. Robert-Jan #SpeedyTuesday Sep 23, 2014

Noticed it! Great!

10. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 23, 2014

I think you're right on that, private sellers often assume that they're going to charge the same as the dealers, many of which are pricing higher because they've got a bricks and mortar store front or are paying for an online presence.

11. Robert-Jan #SpeedyTuesday Sep 23, 2014

Or have a bit of people walking around in there. :) All understandable though. And don't forget about giving a warranty, especially on pre-owned and vintage pieces. Although I doubt that many of them did a proper check-up or service on the watch, they still charge the amount it would cost to service a piece coming back from a buyer. :(

12. Kringkily Omega Collector / Hunter Sep 23, 2014

I wish I got those prices :) but those are pretty much what you would see asked if you wanted into a store. My brick and mortar are the forums :) oh and sometimes a local coffee store.

13. repoman Sep 23, 2014

Thanks Robert. I think pricing guides are wading into dangerous territory, so I commend you for taking a shot at this. Buyers want to see pricing guides artificially low, sellers want to see pricing guides artificially high, macro economics seem to have an impact as well where all prices can rise or fall with market conditions, and ultimately the market will always decide the right answer. I've done some recent data mining on my top two grail quests, and in both cases found prices have escalated quite fast over the last 3 years (prices just about doubled in that time), but also seem to have plateaued in the last 6 months and actually come down. This is part of what makes the chase so interesting.

Robert-Jan and Spacefruit like this.
  14. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Sep 23, 2014

Keep the fantastic work :thumbsup:

15. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Sep 23, 2014

Price guides are interesting, challenging and unlikely to please everyone all of the time.

Robert-Jan likes this.
  16. Robert-Jan #SpeedyTuesday Sep 24, 2014

What I forgot to add, is that Chrono24 is European (based in Germany). The Euro prices don't look strange to me to be (for dealers), the prices I see on watchrecon and in the omega sales forums in USD seem very very attractive to me as a resident of The Netherlands paying with Euros. So I think this also needs to be taken into account to be honest. Although I would love to buy overseas (looking at the prices in the US), you have to understand that customs charges me 21% VAT + 3% admin fee (over the entire amount of course) on a watch that I get from the US. And yes, you have to pay... the FedEx and UPS companies of this world get a kickback fee from the Dutch tax authority for every package they 'register' for taxes. So nothing comes in untaxed, especially from the US.

SpikiSpikester likes this.
  17. jinson Sep 25, 2014

Great article! I really enjoy your articles and research. - Thanks

18. Hexicon Sep 25, 2014

Perfect info for a complete Novice on the Speedie world . Thanks :thumbsup: