Forums Latest Members

Speedsonic!! Not the best/Not the worst ..Any input most welcome !1

1. Hexicon Sep 12, 2014

I am a big fan of Dynamics as some of you may know. ... But also Chronostops , Speedsonics & If I could ever afford one ... Flightmasters and so on.

Question is .... a Speedsonic has come up for auction & the dial is not perfect for sure. But all else looks well.

Look , bottom line is ... I want a Speedsonic!! ...

However , from what I have learned from this forum & its members is this. A. Hold fire , I could get something better,

B. Go for it , its a great price !! C. Dont go near it ... its a redial , wrong hands , crown etc :)

speedsonic 1.JPG speedsonic 2.JPG
  2. Poday Sep 12, 2014

Obviously the dial isn't perfect, but if the price is right, I'd go for it. The downside this that there aren't many people who work on these movements, and if the index wheel is/gets damaged, its pretty much dead. From what I understand, there are no replacements (aside from donor watches), and there never will be.

But that aside, I think they're fascinating. The purists don't tend to like them, since they run on a battery, but the relative uniqueness of the tuning fork movements makes them pretty special to me. Listening to the soft hum rather than the typical ticking is a kick, and the smoothness of the sweep seconds hand is amazing to watch. Here's mine:

photo 3.JPG
    Hexicon likes this.
  3. Poday Sep 13, 2014

Erm... I take it back. In the auction it states that the watch is not running, so unless you're looking for a donor/parts watch, move on.

4. Mark020 not the sharpest pencil in the ΩF drawer Sep 13, 2014

^1. It cost me EUR 750 to service one. Parts are rare and hence expensive.

5. Hexicon Sep 13, 2014

Too busy looking at the photos ... Didnt read the text !! ... Yep Guys ...I think i will let that one slide

homer-simpson-doh.jpg