Forums Latest Members
  1. boofhead Aug 28, 2014

I have owned a Speedmaster since new in 1965. It is the model before the Professional with the 321 movement. I have worn it a lot, taken it underwater, enjoyed it many years. The annual servicing has been hard to find in places I have lived and I left it for about 8 years in a drawer until a couple of years ago when I sent it to a big national chain jeweler for overhaul. It failed the overhaul, and I sent it to Omega where it was under repair for about 6 months. Finally got it back and am testing it for accuracy but it seems fine now. I have the original parts (face, hands etc). The only parts I would like to have had Omega change out, but were not touched, were the Tachymetre scale and the band (the band fitted is not an Omega one). Apart from that, it is as good as new.

It was expensive to repair, and I am thinking of offering it for sale, but what effect on the sale price would the work as described above have?

2. sulaco Aug 28, 2014

Well, as long as you have all original parts, like dial, hands and crown and they are still in good shape, then you will get a Premium for it beeing serviced.
    When you dont have the original parts it is not much sought after by collectors, because the original state has been altered by genuine but new parts.
    Glad to see that there are still first owner watches around :thumbsup:

3. Davidt Aug 28, 2014

Agreed, if all the original components are with the watch you should get a decent price.

Lets see some pics!

JohnSteed likes this.
  4. JohnSteed Aug 28, 2014

Photos would help to see the extent of the repairs. And condition.

Yes, Great you have some or all original parts. It's interesting that you point out the servicing went to a "big national chain jeweler for overhaul". We already have seen other instances where Omega takes in a vintage watch and when they're done, the vintage watch has received a face lift which may repel some suitors. So, may be a concern as to value of the watch ...

5. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Aug 28, 2014

Well I think I would pay much more for the untouched watch.

or out another way, I would not pay more for the watch now that it has been serviced.

i am not saying what is right or wrong, just saying what I Would pay.

6. boofhead Aug 28, 2014

It needed to be overhauled, it was not running right. The first attempt for overhaul did not change any parts except for the crystal and Omega changed it again, I assume with the right type.

7. Psych Aug 28, 2014

Maybe this isn't such bad news. As the original owner of a 1965 Speedmaster, you have already enjoyed what must be the ultimate ambition of many of the Speedmaster admirers on this forum. Although some potential monetary value may have been lost through the service, you have your watch back in good working order. Why not enjoy some more time together?

JohnSteed likes this.
  8. Tritium Aug 28, 2014

What about some pictures :D