Forums Latest Members

Speedmaster 105.012 HF-Case flat-style-pushers (srew-in)

1. gromit Jun 17, 2014

Hi there!
    In the last couple of years I have become a vintage-fan. I hink these watches have their own spirit. So I have bought a vintage Speedmaster 105.012 to get a "most moonish watch". I´ve got it on ebay. I knew, that two parts are not original, the bezel (TACHYMETRE - not DO90), the chrono-second (arrow-tail-luminova-replacement), the rest is quite good.

Now my question

I´ve got an HF-case, so I´ve heared, that there used to be two kinds of pushers, the flat ones, and later the 145-style (modern) ones. I´ve tried to get the flat pushers, but the ones I found are only push-in-style... my watch need srew-in-pushers. Did anybody know the omega-numbers, or know how to find these pushers?

2. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jun 17, 2014

The press in style pusher for this case is 086ST0089. This one has very flat pushers caps, so not very tall compared to the style that screw in for this case. The screw in style are 086ST0007.

Here are the pushers side by side - the 0089 is on the left, and you can see the cap is much shorter than the 0007 on the right.

[​IMG]

Cheers, Al

OddSpeedy and nonuffinkbloke like this.
  3. gromit Jun 17, 2014

Hello Al! Thank you for your quick respond!
    if I understand that right, there are no flat pushers, that will fit in screw-in-pushers-cases?

regards
    Torsten

4. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jun 17, 2014

The only 2 for this case are what is shown above.

Cheers, Al

5. gromit Jun 17, 2014

:( What a pity!

6. marturx Jun 17, 2014

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think both type of pushers will fit your case. You'll have to remove first the screwed-in necks, if you want the flat-top push-in variant

7. gromit Jun 17, 2014

Is that true? That would explain, why teo types of pushers are offered. My watchmaker said, that he can not do anything with the press-in-pushers. If that is correct, I will be verry happy!!

regards
    Torste

8. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jun 17, 2014

AFAIK I thought press-in = CB case screw-in = HF case

OddSpeedy likes this.
  9. gromit Jun 18, 2014

Hi there again,

hf-case-screw-in cb-case-push-in... That's what I heared. But I've seen pictures with HF-cases with flat pushers. (e.g. Speedmaster101.com).

Is it true, that there is a way to remove the srew-in-necks to fit press-in-pushers? I have'nt heared about that before?
    otherwise it is funny that there are two types of pushers listed to fit in this case...

Torsten

OddSpeedy likes this.
  10. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Jun 18, 2014

Yes I have seen the lower profile caps on HF cases. Also I am not certain that all HF cases are screw in.

Now it is important to stress this is from observation not production records. Speedmaster101.com is based on my observations and I am fallible, and always ready to listen to constructive and informed discussion.

I have met too many watchmakers who tell me that in days gone by, they cared little for making sure the same movement went back in a case it came out of, and one specifically told me he swapped casebacks. Not deliberately, he just didn't care which one went on. It just needed a back.

So there are many alternative explanations. case backs can be swapped, pusher caps swapped, all manner of things went on over the years, and that means the watches I observe cannot be assumed to be as they were when they left the factory.

All part of the rich rewards of perusing these pieces.

Especially the 105.012

nonuffinkbloke and gromit like this.
  11. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Jun 18, 2014

12. Dash1 Jun 18, 2014

It should be noted that there are 4 variants of the HF cased 105.012. That is the -63; -64; -65 and -66. The first three have push in (and a double bevelled case-back among other diffrences), but it seems the -66 has screw in pushers. The CB cased -66 has press in pushers. As usual there may be variations on this theme.

OddSpeedy likes this.
  13. watchtinker Jun 18, 2014

It did not use to go exactly this way, at least at the Omega Services, but for sure we did not pay much attention to all the details. Watches had to be correctly overhauled, no more.

gromit likes this.
  14. gromit Jun 19, 2014

The speedmaster is a verry interesting watch in point of history, design and has high demands on knowledge to be treated right! I´m impressed of your specific knowledge. Especially the time spent on "speedmaster101.com"...
    And to see, that unknown people try to help feels good. So this is, what my point of view is now:

1. If it is possible I will try to help the watch becoming that as it was built. If the watch never had flat pushers it would be wrong to give "her" these ones.

2. Better to look after a perfect DO90 bezel, and perfect Chrono-hand.

Last question:
    Will there be different kinds of DO90´s for the different cases, or can they be canged?

15. gromit Jun 19, 2014

Maybe someone is interested in some pictures.
    An original Omega booklet from 1968. The cover shows an HF-Case with flat pushers from (as I know from this forum) 1963-65. It can´t be an CB-case because of the missing vertical polish.

image.jpg
  16. gromit Jun 19, 2014

Interesting for me was, that the ridge in the case, that I expected to be from later refurbishing (see at bezel-position 85) was there from the beginning on!

17. gromit Jun 19, 2014

... see what I mean?

image.jpg
  18. gromit Jun 19, 2014

also there seems to be different types of "T SWISS MADE T". In my case the T´s aren´t spelled wide enough to reach the minute-marks. I have heared, that they should be spelled wider, but as you can see on the booklet, that seem to be correkt as well...

image.jpg
  19. gromit Jun 19, 2014

crown... when I look at this picture, I have doubt, that the bezel-ring has the correct hight, it seems to be too thick...

image.jpg
  20. gromit Jun 19, 2014

For sure you have noticed, that someone is selling "old fashioned crowns" on the bay. The only differece for me to recognize the old ones, when they are plugged in is, that tey do not seem to be solid... they seems to be made of metal plate, because they are bent over... (photo: my watch too)

image.jpg
    robocaspar likes this.