Forums Latest Members
  1. prostie1200 May 10, 2014

These two scans may be of interest to you especially in this year 2014 being the 100th anniversary of the First WW.
    My wife and I have an old spinster friend who is the niece of Field Marshal Wilson and this cartoon was hanging in her wash room for as long as I can remember.
    She had to go into sheltered accommodation and had to rid herself of a load of bric a brac and asked me if I would like this sketch, needless to say I jumped at the offer.

The cartoon was drawn by a Captain Edourd Requin, staff officer to the then Major General Foch and was drawn on the eve of the Battle of Ypres in Nov 1914
    and depicts General Wilson Major, General Foch and an unknown Belgium General leaving the Mess where they had presumably drawn up the plan for the battle, on their way back to their quarters. Foch and Wilson were obviously in agreement but the Belgium was seemingly reluctant was pulling away from the others.

The battle was ghastly with over 100,000 dead and wounded.

Foch became Marshall of France, Wilson a Field Marshall and head of the British Army ( he was assassinated on the steps of his house in London in the early 20's by the IRA) and Requin Wilson-1.jpg Wilson-2.jpg became a Maj Gen and a leading light at the League of Nations.

barmy and Stewart H like this.