Forums Latest Members

Some watch shopping on snowy Michigan Ave. today

1. adam78 Adam @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 18, 2014

I didn't buy anything, alas!

I fell in love with the F.P. Journe Chonomètre Bleu.

Here are some crappy in-store photos (such lousy lighting in these stores; for some reason the proprietor would not allow me to wear it outside to try for a better shot -- I wonder why? :confused: ); and a couple much better ones I snagged on the internet of one that is FS (credit to felipe). The 18K movement is a wonder to behold. $19,000 or so.

I also made my way to the Ralph Lauren store to see their current vintage collection. Very nice pieces, all listed at 2-3X their collector value (1960 2-tone Rolex Air-King date with black waffle dial; early IWC Ingenieur; early '70s 1675 GMT with great patina and faded bezel; IWC cal. 89 in rose gold with ribbon lugs); and then to the Rolex boutique (operated unfortunately by Tourneau, but I had a very nice sales associate) where I also liked the blue dial platinum bezel Yachtmaster ($11.4K) and yellow gold Daytona (with gold bracelet) with contrasting black dial, gold subs registers, red outer seconds chapter, and stick numerals. An exotic look somewhat similar to a Paul Newman (it appears to be called the Paul Newman Special Edition). Really, really gorgeous, and $35K. No pictures allowed there, however, I've also included some other photos of the Rolex models, found surfing the web just now...

IMG_3600.JPG IMG_3601.JPG FB Journe chronometre bleu a.jpg FB Journe chronometre bleu b.jpg Rolex-Yacht-Master-Blue-Sunray-Dial-Baselworld-2012-Profile-800x1069.jpg Rolex Daytona 116528 gold black dial.jpg
  2. ulackfocus Jan 18, 2014

Calling all cars! UFO landed on Michigan Avenue!

3. adam78 Adam @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 28, 2014

Needless to say, I haven't bought one of these yet... :whistling:

4. Interstatetime Feb 28, 2014

You need to go down to the diamond district around Monroe and S Wabash to see real watches.

JohnCote