Forums Latest Members

Shipping from the U.S. to Great Britain. Advice sought.

1. msp1518 Jan 22, 2015

Hi all, a real nice gentleman in the UK has expressed an interest in my Omega Seamaster Pre-Bond. There are two snags... The huge VAT he'd have to pay...

And the shipping. What do members here use for shipping a watch valued at around $1100 to $1400 with insurance? I am in North Carolina.

USPS Express is nearly $100. Are there other options you would recommend? The potential buyer and I need to work something out where he can fit it in his budget (the VAT+shipping are pushing it just outside) and I can make a tiny little profit on the sale. I would never sell this piece at a loss. I love it far too much and could just hold onto it.

Thanks!

2. CdnWatchDoc Jan 23, 2015

Several of the forum members regularly travel overseas. I have seen a few offers of transport, if the watch can get to them within the US. Shoot a PM to the mods and they might be able to tell you who has done previously.

Darlinboy likes this.
  3. scook94 Jan 24, 2015

A lot depends on how honest you feel you have to be on the customs declaration form.

4. kkibrisli Jan 24, 2015

+1
    I couldn't have said it better.

oddboy likes this.
  5. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Jan 24, 2015

Also depends on how much you want to insure for, no?

6. kkibrisli Jan 24, 2015

Yup, which depends on how the buyer pays and how much risk s/he is willing to take...

7. scook94 Jan 24, 2015

Indeed, and that's the dilemma...

8. DLT222 Double D @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 24, 2015

Is he desperate for it? Ship it to me... i go back to the UK in 13 weeks lol

9. MikiJ Likes songs about Purple spices Jan 24, 2015

Although my watches are individually insure, they are not insured for "shipping for sale". However they are insured for shipping, too approved countries, as "watch for repair". This allows me to declare , on a customs form, for about half the value". However this does not provide for an unscrupulous trader. As always back to one of the primary rules: Trust the seller/trader, not the watch!

10. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Jan 24, 2015

Do you mean they are covered by an insurance policy (like home owners) while they are in transit?

11. MikiJ Likes songs about Purple spices Jan 24, 2015

They are insured with my homeowners policy under a separate "valuable articles policy" with a written appraisal for actual cash value at so-many dollars per thousand. However they are not insured "for sale". Thus the "watch for repair". It only insures them during delivery. That's why we're back to buying whom-so-ever they a shipped to. In fact the insurance company prefers them not to be insured so they don't attract additional attention.

oddboy likes this.