Forums Latest Members

Servicing JLC Master Control circa 2005

1. pcdubc Dec 27, 2014

Hello,

I just purchased my Master Control (2005) over the holidays. I'm looking to service it. For those that have owned a Master Control over the years, would you recommend that I send it directly to JLC or can a competent local watchmaker do the job? If JLC, would you recommend that I send it to Switzerland or is the US center in Texas good enough?

Secondly, would you recommend against letting JLC polish the case? I know that in the case of Rolex and Omega, it is almost always a bad idea to polish if I ever want to resell.

Lastly, how much does a regular service cost for the master control? (it is +- 8 seconds per day right now)

Thanks very much! Happy holidays!

2. NT931 Dec 28, 2014

Congrats on the MC! It all depends on your local watchmaker - if you can find someone who has the expertise and the parts, then local is an option. If not, then it's off to JLC. For me, I'm fortunate to have such a local watchmaker, but you should ask around.

As for polishing, I've allowed a very light polish on my JLCs when they got serviced. In Singapore servicing a MC at Richemont would run about USD500-600 last I checked.

pcdubc likes this.
  3. pcdubc Dec 28, 2014

Thank you!

That was super informative

4. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Dec 28, 2014

Richemont is the worst of the major conglomerates when it comes to parts distribution. I'm not sure where NT931's watchmaker is getting modern JLC parts from, but generally they are not available to independent watchmakers. Vintage parts are out there, but not much in the way of modern parts.

If all your watch needs is a simple service, then it might not need parts other than a mainspring, and there is a chance a generic mainspring can be found of the correct width, strength, and length. It might not be exact, but it will work. The only issue there is if something goes wrong - part flies out of the watchmaker's tweezers and can't be found - then there is a problems for sure. It happens to the best of us, and some are willing to take the risk, and some not.

Cheers, Al

pcdubc and NT931 like this.
  5. flyingout Dec 28, 2014

Helpful. I have an earlier Master Grand Taille with the 889/2. Well past time to service but still silky smooth and dead accurate. Love it.

Are reverses on par as far as cost to service or are they significantly more expensive? Duo in my case, so I'd guess the complication alone will make it more expensive but in general what might I be looking at?

6. pcdubc Dec 29, 2014

Thanks Archer. So I visited a local AD and asked about the servicing procedure. They tested my watch and said that my watch is +-2 sec per day and recommended that I hold off on servicing. To my surprise, they told me to fully wind my watch every week, despite it being a automatic movement. I was always told that I should refrain from winding automatics excessively. What's your take on this Archer?

Thanks again!

7. flyingout Dec 29, 2014

Interesting. Were you given any indication as to when it was previously serviced? I mean when you bought it.

8. pcdubc Dec 29, 2014

The seller told me that it was never serviced (in fact, the case back has never been opened), but promised that the watch is within 8 seconds per day before I made an offer.

9. flyingout Dec 29, 2014

And if you mentioned that to the AD, I too am surprised that they suggested you wait. Mine is 15 years old with a slightly older movement, but basically is the same watch. It has never been serviced but I haven't worn it these last five or more years due to needing a new strap, which I just had custom made.

I recently tested it. It was consistently about -1 second crown up and +1 second crown down. So for about a week I was keeping it dead correct by storing it differently each night. Impressive.

My Reverso, same age, needs service first, but I may visit my AD with both to see what they say.

pcdubc likes this.
  10. NT931 Dec 29, 2014

It might be a good idea to look at this great post by Al some time ago - basically, one of Al's points is that even if the watch keeps time, it doesn't mean everything is hunky dory inside and not needing a service. So yeah, if it hasn't been touched since 2005, I'd get it serviced.

As for Flyingout's question, here in Singapore I was quoted a price of about USD670 by Richemont to service a Reverso Duo, but I'm sure prices vary a fair bit country to country.

pcdubc likes this.
  11. alfanator Dec 29, 2014

My local watchmaker would not touch my JLC, just hop on the JLC site, they are super responsive and will get you set up.

pcdubc likes this.
  12. flyingout Dec 29, 2014

Sent them both off today from my local JLC Boutique. (Gonna post about my visit to the Omega one across the hall soon.)

The Reverso base cost was actually $220 less than the MGT due to it being a manual wind rather than automatic. I had been afraid that the second time zone complication of the Duo, or just that it was a reverso, would have made it more expensive to service.

pcdubc likes this.