Forums Latest Members

SOLD Seiko 6217-8001 62MAS - Excellent Condition

1. bigsom Feb 24, 2018

I have two 6217s and I'm trying to cut down on my hoarding, so the big crown has to go! You guys probably already know, this is Seiko's first professional diver originally made in 1965.

Dial:
    Lovely original dial in fantastic condition never having been repainted. The lume markers are in amazing condition with just a tiny area of lume loss at the 6 o'clock marker. All markers glow under UV light and then fade over the next 5-10 seconds (please see photos).

Hands: In very good condition with just a tiny pinpoint of lume loss on the hour hand. The hands glow in perfect unison with the dial markers under UV and fade quickly at the same rate as the dial markers (see photos).

Case:
    I don't think this watch has ever been polished and has several small dings and scratches but no major gashes to speak of. The circular brushing on the mid case is visible and still catches the light. The case edges are overall sharp and in good condition. The case measures 37.8 x 46.4 mm by my digital calipers.

Caseback: The caseback on all 1965 and 1966 6217s had a shallow dolphine engraving which is lost over time. This one dates to 1966 and you can just barely make out the dolphin (actually better than many of the casebacks out there).

Bezel: Original bezel assembly with an excellent bezel insert. Usually these bezel pearls aged to an orange color, possibly a NOS insert given how excellent the condition is. However it glows in exact accordance with the dial and hand lume!

Crystal: The crystal is in excellent condition and correctly rounded as per the original Seiko crystal. I have a hard time believing it could be in such excellent condition and is probably a NOS replacement.

Crown: Original big crown with all teeth, sharp and without wear.

Movement: Running well keeping +3 s/d dial up on the timegrapher. Serviced earlier this year at a local watchmaker in Maryland. Quick set day feature works correctly, please note as is common to 6217As, the date wheel can be changed forward or backwards and can slip between dates when advancing the crown very slowly.

Strap:
    Currently mounted on an 19mm vintage style tropic rubber strap which I think suits the watch nicely. The strap is included in this sale.

Price:
    Offered at 2875 USD shipped in the USA with USPS Priority fully insured. I don't think you'll find a 62MAS in this condition at a similar price.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

WITH UV LIGHT:

[​IMG]

5 SECONDS AFTER UV LIGHT REMOVED:

[​IMG]

Lonestar, watchknut, George.A and 9 others like this.
  2. R3D9 Feb 24, 2018

Wow! Great condition compared to most of these you see. A++

bigsom likes this.