Forums Latest Members

Seeking opinions Vintage Breguet type 20 February 1953

1. _Dracha_ Apr 4, 2014

Since there are a lot of knowledgeable people here as well (I asked the same questions on some other boards but got mixed responses) I am asking here as well
    I have the opportunity to buy this Breguet type 20 but before I proceed I wanted to get some opinions
    I dont have a caseback shot yet but will get one soon

do you see anything blatantly incorrect on this piece that would discourage you from buying it ?

the caseback is virginal , no 5101/54 engravings , no warranty 'FG' engravings , nothing

after inquiring at Breguet received the following :

"According our sales registers, the Breguet N° xxxx is a chronograph, movement 14 lines, fly-back function, stainless steel case, 30-mn register,
    black dial, rotating bezel. Completed in 1953. Sold on February 23, 1953 to Mr xxxxx (for a price unknown).
    The watch has been serviced several times at Breguet according the small numbers (for example 902 CXLVI)."

(xxx's added by me to protect the identity of the watch a little bit if that is needed)

Looks like a civilian piece sold before the 1954 army contract ?
    Would these be as sought after as the military , more (Because its pre military contract) or less (because its not a military piece?)
    Or would you not buy this one at all for some reason ?

thanks

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Northernman Lemaniac Apr 4, 2014

I guess a military issue will attract some additional buyers, it seems it always does::screwloose:: . Having that said that is a fantastic piece of horology and I would be tempted - BADLY - if the price was within reach of my budget.

With the revitalization of Breguet I do believe it will be a sound investment (over time) no matter what.
    ::love:: ::love:: ::love::

3. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Apr 4, 2014

I agree with Anders but military issue will always attract a higher price because of the history - unless it is NOS - look at the Zenith Cairelli watches. This one looks to be in superb condition but I'll let others comment on authenticity. The re-issue Breguet is on my wanted list, but at the right price, I would go for an original any day over a modern one. You don't see these very often.

4. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Apr 4, 2014

My knowledge on vintage Breguet is zero. But that's a very attractive vintage watch, military or not.
    I would buy it in heartbeat if the price is right (which I don't have any clue).
    I am just concerned there are no Breguet engraving in any surface of the movement. and the movement finishing is cruder than what I expect from Breguet.

5. Gavin It's the quiet ones you have to 'watch' out for. Apr 4, 2014

I am no Breguet expert but the movement looks ok. They are not signed. Some of these typeXX Breguets are not even signed on the dials. As a matter of fact I am smitten by an example for sale. If only I have more than €10k of watch money right now.

6. Northernman Lemaniac Apr 5, 2014

7. _Dracha_ Apr 5, 2014

Yes that is a good read , but still too generic to answer my questions as it doesnt go into much detail nor does it state all the intricacies that is needed to form an opinion on this particular piece

As Breguet have confirmed they build and sold this watch in 1953 I am 99% sure I'll pull the trigger on this one as its a great addition to my other pilot watches (And as mentioned above, I helps knowing it wont loose much of its value over time ;-)

8. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Apr 5, 2014

9. _Dracha_ Apr 6, 2014

Thanks Lou, good reading ,specially the french article . There doesnt seem to be a whole lot of info out there on these , strange actually as they're vwry collectable and sought after I expected more detailed info on numbers , specifics , build years etc

anyway , here's an extra pic and I look fwd to more opinions and info

[​IMG]