Forums Latest Members

Search for additional info Zenith Defy Surf

1. Men Jan 11, 2015

Hi Folks,

I’m new on this forum and on my search towards more information (on a Zenith Defy Surf I found in a box of old garbage a few years ago) I run into this forum.I was surprised about the high knowledge of this brand in an Omega forum :). By the way...love the professional look, feel and comments on this forum!

However...all additional info, brochures etc. are more then welcome. I have never seen a picture of a similar (quartz, white dial) watch!

I restored the watch approx. 2 years ago. It was external and internal in a terrible shape (stupid I did not make any “before” pic’s from the case). A battery leakage caused a failing movement and a lot of damage. I managed to restore the original movement with a lot of effort. It’s a double case (2 small “hooks” keep the inner case in the outer case) with a screw down crown. Although the watch is more in my watch box then on my wrist, every time I take the watch out of the box, the high quality and look and feel of the watch keeps me amazing.

The watch was sold in these days in 2 types: automatic and the (probably earlier) quartz version. Automatic with a Zenith cal, 462, which is more correctly designated as cal. 46.2, based on the ETA 2892. Quartz with a Zenith Cal. 46.1, based on the ETA/ESA 9362.
    This is the quartz version and based on the caliber the watch must be build in 1977, 1978. The number of the watch case: 02.0440.458-480

Zenith-Defy-site_zpsc43e6bfc.JPG Zenith-Defy-front_zpsf99e41de.JPG
    Crown is screwed out to let the watch smile.... Zenith-Defy-front-schuin_zpscc0374ed.JPG Zenith-Defy-back_zps6f5b3ebc.JPG

Cheers,
    Men

LouS and STANDY like this.
  2. jantje.vlaam Jan 11, 2015

Wow, great job, that looks like NOS. To bad you dont have any before pictures. Was it binned because the movement didnt work or was the outside in a very bad condition?

3. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jan 11, 2015

The Zenith Guru,s will be along soon.

You both need a Avatar before you get one picked for you......

4. Men Jan 11, 2015

Avator fixed! :cool:

Don't know why it was binned but it was hardly to recognize it was a watch. Full with paint, dirt and a lot of DNA. Broken glass...state of the RVS outer case was also very challeging.
    Due to the battery leakage I had to re-goldplate the contacts. Was really fun to work on this watch.

By the way "jantje.vlaam": it was due to your post on horlogeforum.nl I got here! Love your project and looking forward to the final results.

5. Mothra Jan 11, 2015

I was under the impression that 'surf' was a statement about the case material, not the model. effectively it's saying 'stainless steel' or similar....

6. Men Jan 11, 2015

As far as my knowledge reaches..... Surf is Zenith code for 'water resistant'
    (there is also 'sub sea' : 'super water resistant')

7. Veritas99 Jan 11, 2015

Nice job restoring it. Here's your watch from a 1979 Defy brochure...
    [​IMG]

Interestingly, it retailed in both quartz and automatic, but the quartz cost more (1,750 francs vs 1,445 francs for the automatic). The model number for your watch should be 02.0440.460. Also, as discussed above, "surf" refers to the level of water resistance.

The advertising text in the brochure says:
    "DEFY - WEATHER PROTECTED FOR THE RIGHT TIME
    ZENITH DEFY watches are made for life in the open. With precision movements - quartz or automatic- fully-protected against shocks and water by sturdy steel cases, mineral glasses and water-resisting rings fitted at all their vulnerable points. Naturally every DEFY watch undergoes the most stringent tests before going out to brave the weather.
    For those who are really demanding, ZENITH stockists recommend DEFY."

Congrats on your watch!

STANDY and Men like this.
  8. Men Jan 11, 2015

Wow thats fast. I really want to thank you for the information. Francs is from Swiss francs I guess?

9. Veritas99 Jan 11, 2015

You're more than welcome. It's actually a brochure from a French dealer so the cost is in the old French francs.

10. Dany demar May 11, 2020

Hello! I will buy this quartz watch tomorrow for 200€ but not working! There’s someone can give me some information about it!? What should I check first!? It’s hard to find info about it on line !!! can please post photos from inside of movement!?? Please !