Forums Latest Members
  1. JohnE3 Oct 16, 2014

Hello everyone,

I own a vintage (around 1960) Seamaster in stainless case with a "beads of rice" type bracelet. My wife gave this to me some years ago and love to wear it every day. I believe it is CK2975 Caliber 501, but I could be wrong about that.

Recently, it suffered a wear-out type of failure where the bracelet attaches to the clasp. Two of the three links are broken. To me, this looks difficult to fix. A local jeweler has told me that because of the stainless material, this is not repairable. I would surely love to get this repaired somehow. I've searched a bit on line and haven't found any solution.

Do any of you have a suggestion?
    Thanks in advance for any help.
    John

IMG_3598.JPG IMG_3600.JPG IMG_3599.JPG IMG_3601.JPG

2. mac_omega Oct 16, 2014

I think this could be repaired by laser welding but it will not pay to do so due to the high cost.
    It will be cheaper to buy a vintage replacement...

3. bill5959 Oct 17, 2014

John, I'm not sure about what you have there, but you might try Squinky. You can find him on Ebay but email him outside. He has a lot of bracelet knowlededge and may offer a solution. Welcome to the forum. Regards. Bill

4. DON Oct 17, 2014

The ratchet styled bracelet is difficult to find. I had one which I sold, but just wasn't as sturdy as the standard snap models. Nice dress type bracelet for the occasional use, but not as a full time one

I would buy another standard BOR model to replace this one.

DON

5. JohnE3 Oct 17, 2014

Hi mac_omega, bill5959 and DON, Thanks so much for the thoughtful replies. The laser welding does sound like fun but perhaps a bit more than I want to take on for this. I looked at Squinky's eBay store and he has some options. Perhaps a new bracelet is the most practical--and secure option.

John

6. Mark020 not the sharpest pencil in the ΩF drawer Oct 19, 2014

I had a similar part machined.

[​IMG]

7. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 19, 2014

That's actually not even the part that typically breaks on those ratchet bracelets, might be worth seeing if you can find jut a replacement clasp on eBay and keep the rest of the links / endlinks