Forums Latest Members

Round 2: Who Did it Better? Universal Geneve or Omega? (Episode, Vertical Grain)

1. Modest_Proposal Trying too hard to be one of the cool kids Jul 31, 2014

I recently sold this Omega 320 partially to fund this Universal Geneve. Both are very beautiful, but I believe the Universal will be more versatile for my smaller budget.

I felt I needed to take pictures of the watches together before they parted ways.

In the context of a dress watch, who did it better?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 31, 2014

I'd prefer the Omega in this case as the dial furniture, applied omega symbol and detail are really impressive, but that's just the dial.

That exact model of Tri-Compax is my favourite so I'd take that any day over the Cal 320, but the 320 does imo have a slightly nicer dial.

3. Dablitzer Jul 31, 2014

Both nice but I have to say that simplicity and markers on the Omega are truly stunning...Is it definitely rose gold? But, In the end I would probably take the UG as it's more versatile...

4. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Jul 31, 2014

Of these two, the UG gets my vote.:D

That said, would be quite happy to own either.

5. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Jul 31, 2014

Prefer the silver on silver cosmetically, so it's a little hard to compare.
    I definitely like the more understated look of the 320 and am leaning towards the Omega.
    This is tough, whose better, Michaelangelo or DaVinci?
    I wish you would have compared to a Michael Kors or something a little easier !

Anyway, it's the cocktail hour and I just received a case of my favorite rum from Belize, so everything will be crystal clear directly !!

Modest_Proposal and tpatta like this.
  6. tpatta Happily spending my daughter’s inheritance Jul 31, 2014

Have to go with the moonphase. A classic.

NT931 likes this.
  7. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Jul 31, 2014

Great comparo. I'm with the Omega (and that Tri-Compax might just be my favorite of the late twisted lug cases) because the ensemble of hands, hour markers and graining creates a great effect of understated opulence.

UncleBuck likes this.
  8. woodwkr2 Jul 31, 2014

You asked which one is a better dress watch. Technically, a chrono should never be a dress watch. That said, the smaller, flat pushered chronos are my exception to the rule.

I'd take the Omega as a dress watch, and I would have sold it to fund the Universal if it came to that.

UncleBuck likes this.
  9. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Jul 31, 2014

Would most agree that the 320 is more elegant, perhaps more "dressier" than the UG and may be the winner within the context of Modest's
    original parameters ??
    Conversely, would most prefer to own the UG ?

(I'm rum trippin' and can't even believe how intelligent I sound to me !)

10. JM251 Jul 31, 2014

I'd prefer to own whichever is more collectible and I'm guessing that's the Omega. Aesthetically I'll take the omega as well although it's not my favorite 320 dial.. They are certainly both beautiful!

11. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 1, 2014

The UG is more collectible though the Omega has a wider audience.

One of the things I love about the Cal 320 especially in this configuration is that there is no other watch that can be as accurately described as a poor man's Patek 5070. It shares the same base movement, overall feel and look of the 5070 in a smaller but not too small 35.5mm case (wears much bigger) and with a price tag less than 5% of it's Calatrava wearing cousin. It's an incredible value watch.

12. NT931 Aug 1, 2014

I like the UG more but I'm biased on account of the moonphase

13. Gavin It's the quiet ones you have to 'watch' out for. Aug 1, 2014

Voting for the Omega since you're asking for choice of a dress watch. But I will take the UG over the 320 any day.

14. epl108 Aug 1, 2014

I agree with a few commenters above:
    a-you have a great problem on your hand if you get to keep either of these watches!
    b-the omega seems "dressier" to me so if you wanted a true dress watch, I think that's the one.
    c-there are few cooler watches than that UG moonphase

Question to the experts - what's the difference in cost of servicing an "average" chrono like the 320 or 321 compared to a service on a tri-compax? I know I've read on here that there are very few people truly capable of working on those these days so I assume supply shortages would increase prices?