Forums Latest Members

Rolex GMT Master in auction

1. lord83 Oct 5, 2013

Here's a GMT master up for sale in a local auction. I kinda fell in love with this model, even though I'm not a Rolex guy at all.

I know that's a crappy picture from the catalog, but I wasn't able to take a proper one as it's not allowed before the sale's day (monday)...

There's these infos I was able to get :

GMT Mater Référence 1675, pepsi bezel.
    Jubile bracelet (62510H)

Further notes :

Case : 5 454 737
    Caliber : 1575
    GMT D 702573

Does it make it a 90s watch or late 70s :unsure: ?

What do you guys think ? Does it worth a shot ?

155.jpg
  2. Gavin It's the quiet ones you have to 'watch' out for. Oct 5, 2013

Don't know enough to make any comments except that it can't be a 90s watch if it's a 1675.

3. screwzlewz Oct 5, 2013

Serial number places it around 1978. However, a couple of things stand out. The lume on the dial and the lume on the hands are different, indicating that the hands have been replaced with super luminova. Dial indicates its tritium, but I have seen replacement dials that are super luminova with the tritium markings. I'm not sure that's the case with this watch but the fact that they are not matching would drive me insane. The dial shout is head on but the cyclops magnify seat a wonky angle. Not sure if its a legit plexi crystal, but something looks off. Based off of one pic, I'd pass.

oh, crown guards are polished unevenly, something else that would drive me nuts.

Pete

4. lord83 Oct 5, 2013

Thank you very much for these wise observations. I haven't had it in my hands, and Rolex is unknown territory for me, I was tempted.

5. lord83 Oct 6, 2013

BTW, isn't there somewhere on internet a great complete resource about vintage rolex ?

6. screwzlewz Oct 6, 2013

The two most frequented would be rolexforums.com and vintagerolexforum.com

7. lord83 Oct 6, 2013

Thanks ! ;)