Forums Latest Members

Rolex and Turkish beach AD's

1. Event horizon faux seller of watches and complete knobhead Dec 6, 2014

So a guy from work comes into work wearing wearing a Rolex a few weeks ago putting so close to my face I'm left with a permanent Rolex crown imprint on my eyeball. My first reaction is to laugh and shout fake but I instead said "wow you've been splashing out!" He says it's a gift from his sister in law and goes on to tell me she bought all his family one. I point out she has spent a lot of money and he gives me a knowing chuckle. "She's been on holiday to Turkey and got a really good deal. There was some guys selling them without boxes for £25 each. The seller explained to her Rolex had made too many so they sold the watches without warranty or papers etc. at that point I cut him off and declared it a fake which he countered "you haven't even looked at it properly" I told him I don't need to I've heard enough.
    Three weeks later he shouted my name and threw my over his prized Rolex "you can have it I'm sick of it" I deftly caught the watch and had my first inspection. A few scratches on the lens and the crown wouldn't wind back in. But the final straw was the bezel insert falling off. I quickly shouted back "you need to take it into a Rolex dealer they will fix it for you" his reply would be censored on this forum so I will change the wording to meet any forum rules. "It's a copulating replica my good man!"
    A quick calculation brings it out at nearly £500 a year to keep replacing them so quick. I thought fakes were supposed to be cheap?
    [​IMG]

Nobel Prize and Waynepjr like this.
  2. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Dec 6, 2014

You have the watch?

Good, then here's what you must do for us.

Step 1. Glue the bezel back on and clean it up a bit (reading Last Rites not necessary).

Step 2. Prepare the following items:

............ 1. 1 x Camera (set to video).

............ 2. 1 x 32oz ball pein hammer (carpenter's claw hammer will do if you aren't engineer equipped).

............ 3. 1 x Solid block of hardwood.

............ 4. Essential equipment - Safety Glasses, gloves, dust mask, ear protectors, bomb suit.

............ 5. Optional Equipment - Centre punch, cold chisel, power drill.

Step 3. Take the listed items and using your imagination, implement destructive force upon the object while filming all details.

Step 4. Post video when finished.

::popcorn::

Edited Dec 6, 2014
  3. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Dec 6, 2014

And don't forget your safety glasses. pound away.

Nobel Prize likes this.
  4. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Dec 6, 2014

:oops:

And me an enjunear, fancy forgetting the five steps.

:whipped:

5. Trev The Architect Staff Member Dec 7, 2014

I recommend a good hydraulic press, make some crunchy Chinese pancakes. ;)

boat2dan and watchme like this.
  6. bish789 Dec 7, 2014

Dibs

DLT222 likes this.
  7. alam Dec 7, 2014

You beat me to it! :-(

8. bish789 Dec 7, 2014

Sorry, but you have to move quick to get the chance of owning a stunning example like that :)

9. Event horizon faux seller of watches and complete knobhead Dec 7, 2014

Bish789 has called dibs and a wise choice indeed, I'm beginning to think the lucky lucky man from Turkey was telling the truth. Shame on you all with your different forms of unsympathetic testing measures. I'm going to rigorously test this watch using COSC testing equipment. I've been waiting a while to use this equipment on the right watch, here's a pic of my testing kit.
    [​IMG]
    Results will be revealed later.

Chrisc, Trev, boat2dan and 1 other person like this.
  10. Event horizon faux seller of watches and complete knobhead Dec 7, 2014

Yup it's real
    [​IMG]

11. Hijak Dec 7, 2014

Nicely done!!!:cool:

Edit: Think a few more shots might be in order.;)

12. Event horizon faux seller of watches and complete knobhead Dec 7, 2014

I've teased the movement out so you can see it's real.
    This is the first watch I've stripped and to be honest I've taken to it like a duck to water.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Chrisc and Trev like this.
  13. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Dec 7, 2014

We'll make a watchmaker of you yet.

Event horizon likes this.
  14. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Dec 7, 2014

He will need to get a proper case opening tool though.

That one would be too unwieldy on the watch bench!

:D

15. Trev The Architect Staff Member Dec 7, 2014

Hrmm. Looks like you need more firepower. Is that an air-rifle? :)

16. Chrisc Dec 8, 2014

There were lots of this type of 'AD' on my recent visit to Turkey... :)
    [​IMG]

That's not me perusing I hasten to add. I was offered my choice of Omegas while sitting at a bar wearing my SMP tho and a chap on the plane journey back was sporting a white gold Smurf. I couldn't see the dial properly but he because was waving it around a lot, the clasp kept popping open on him ... I thought Rolex had better QC than to send out a piece with an iffy clasp. ;)

17. DLT222 Double D @ ΩF Staff Member Dec 8, 2014

I know a guy in my home town that sells a tonne of these! I had my GMT on one day which is real and he asked where I got it and branded it as fake! I was dying to slap him round his face with his bag of fake watches.

When I'm home next it will post some of his up for shits and giggles!

18. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Dec 8, 2014

The #1 question I was asked when I use to own and wear a modern Rolex every day was "Is it real?"

That got tiring after a while...

19. Event horizon faux seller of watches and complete knobhead Dec 8, 2014

The odd time I've owned a Rolex and when they asked me if its real I used to reply "it's a fake". For some reason I always got a bit of joy out of saying it