Forums Latest Members

Resurrecting a dead f720 megasonic....

1. hotrod heath Jul 23, 2014

Hi all,

I would like to canvas opinion and perhaps ask for watch repairer recommendations should you happen to agree with me that I think I should replace the mechanism of my Omega Megasonic 720Hz.

The background to this story is that my fathers 1970 f720 has not worked for a long time and following recommendations from this forum i sent it to the excellent Paul Wirdnham at Electric Watches who has confirmed that the movement is toast. He suggested replacing it with an f300 to keep some of the authenticity.

Personally I want to wear the watch again and I want it to be reliable and last the test of time. The f300 replacement may work for a decade, a year or only a day. I don't want to throw money at something that I will always be wondering if it is going to break.

I will never sell the watch because of the family ties so maintaining the monetary value is not of interest to me. My thoughts are to replace the movement with something quartz, preferably omega. I have been informed that it is all about the size of the movement and fitting it into the watch. There is a date wheel to complicate things also. I believe the likelihood of finding a movement that fits perfectly is low so some amount of fettering will be required.......

Do you agree i should rip out the heart watch so it can be splendid again and used, or leave it complete to languish broken and sad in the bottom of my desk drawer? Who do you think is the best qualified (and perhaps most competitively priced) to perform the mechanical heart transplant?

I eagerly await your responses.

James

2. hotrod heath Jul 23, 2014

Oops wrong forum, this is not a review. Please can a moderator of somebody move it to the most appropriate forum.

Apologies

James