Forums Latest Members
  1. tdn-dk Sep 13, 2014

Hi!

I am the owner of a ref. 2179. I am aware it have been sold as a US Military watch, and i am also aware of there are "civilian" version without military engravings.

I would like to know if the civilian version was sold in watchmaker stores as any other Omegas, or it was sold to military staff in their shop for military staff or ??

I have also noticed that Omega's archive writes "Special high precision adjustment of the movement" Was it only on the military models and what was the modification to the movement?

I know that the military version is the one to have, but is the civilian version very common?

Is it known what refs. are the military ones, mine is a 2179/6 is there series of number 2179/X that reserved for the military versions?

Thanks

Best
    Thomas

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. mac_omega Sep 13, 2014

Hi Thomas,

As far as I know:

1) Only the US military version had special adjustment (upon special request of the US army I am sure) like some other military watches from Omega - Ref. 2242 for RCAF comes into mind...

No specific modifications to the movement - just "selected" pieces with vg results and adjusted to chronometer quality ratings

2) The civilian version was available at stores and is rather common on the market
    3) As far as I recall the US stamped version was 2179 - 3 but I stand ready to be corrected

NB: the military version had radial numbers on the dial different to your´s

HAGWE

erich

3. tdn-dk Sep 13, 2014

Thanks, great info.

Best Thomas

4. mac_omega Sep 13, 2014

My pleasure!

Just an update: I have checked mine for the iteration - mine says 2179 - 2 and it is a confirmed US military piece (extract from Omega museum)

5. TexOmega Sep 25, 2014

You don't happen to have a picture of your extract and to whom you contacted to get it.

I assume you are in the US.