Forums Latest Members

Recommend a Beginner Tool Set?

1. RawArcher Measures thread drift on the Richter Scale Nov 21, 2014

I have no plans to "work" on my watches but I would like to be able to easily open the case backs without damage plus change bracelet/straps without mutilating a paper clip. I see a bunch of cheap options on eBay but was wondering if this group my have a good beginner suggestion for me? Thank you. Tom

2. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Nov 21, 2014

Well, I have never seen an inexpensive "set" of tools that had anything of real value or quality in it.

For removing pins, I like a simple set of straight punches and a small hammer. I also use a small jig to hold the bracelet steady. Not a fan of any of the various screw type push pin tools.

For case backs, you would have to tell me what case backs you want to remove - threaded, snap on, what type of notches they have...

For screw back cases, I use a Bergeon 5700 with friction dies, but that is likely a bit expensive for you.

[​IMG]

But the principle here is the same as what you need - some sort of vise that can securely clamp the watch, and that needs to be secure enough not to move on you - most case vises can be held in a bench vise. If your watches typically have notches on the case backs, then Jaxa type 3-jaw opener will work, but you have to be super careful - if you slip you will gouge the case back.

Cheers, Al

JohnSteed and boat2dan like this.
  3. RawArcher Measures thread drift on the Richter Scale Nov 23, 2014

Yikes! I knew I was a newb in all this watch stuff but every once in while I do something or ask something that amazes me as to what a newb I really am! First, or I guess now second, let me say thank you Al for the helpful and gentle response. I've been on this forum everyday now for about three months or so and I must say it's an honor to have you reply to one if my posts. That being said, I think I'll stick to letting a watchmaker do all my case back openings. That 5700 is a real tool, to which I'm mostly allergic. I had it in my head, by the way you all are always showing your watches' movements, that there must be a simple little thingamajig for opening our watches! Live and learn. Al.....thanks for the mini education. Tom

4. Crossfire Nov 28, 2014

On ebay there are planty of different items but many of them are poor condition. I bought there crystal remover and screw drivers and it works fine.

5. bieb1 Nov 28, 2014

I use this Bergeon tool for changing bracelets, which is a nice thing to do if you like wearing your watches with different bracelets from time to time. Can be ordered online for a very reasonable price. Much better than mutilated paperclips...
    image.jpg

JohnSteed likes this.
  6. cristit Nov 28, 2014

Bergeon is quite expensive, imo.
    You could find a similar tool on bay for a decent price.