Forums Latest Members
  1. sjeisner Apr 15, 2014

2. ulackfocus Apr 15, 2014

Yep, I do. It's a poorly refinished dial. Look at how crude the inking is:

$_57.JPG

3. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Apr 15, 2014

Compare with the real deal:
    : XXX_15_1389403572_1.jpg

And it's a 32mm case. I think you will find that surprisingly small when you see it if you are not used to vintage watches.

Ask before you buy, friend.

citizenrich likes this.
  4. woodwkr2 Apr 15, 2014

My condolences. Never really understood the appeal of a military style watch in a gold or gold-plated case.

The example that LouS posted above is owned by a member here. You can see my similar example, here.

citizenrich likes this.
  5. JohnSteed Apr 15, 2014

It helps to know these on the order of a true WIS such as LouS and woodwkr2. But one way to tell if something isn't quite right with a vintage watch usually is -- if the dial seems written with a marker and fonts aren't crisp. Remember these ole watches are both miniature works of art and engineering marvels.

There will be some bruises along to the way. I know I've been there

lenny and citizenrich like this.
  6. eustace Apr 15, 2014

From the original listing:

DIAL & HANDS- Good condition cream original unrefinished Universal Geneve dial nice patina on markers a couple of visible scratchesand some discoloration otherwise very minor marks and scratches . Dial original marked " Universal Geneve". good dial .

The seller has 100% positive feedback with >1000 comments. You might want to contact the seller to see if they will refund your money.

7. citizenrich Metal Mixer! Apr 16, 2014

here's another original example on my big wrist.

Idea? You might be able to source an original dial and have a pretty cool and unique gold cased watch. I haven't seen many gold UG 263's. you have a very rare bird there with a crappy dial.

however, the hands, movement and case look pretty mint...

image.jpg
    JimInOz and woodwkr2 like this.
  8. woodwkr2 Apr 16, 2014

The OP's case still appears to be polished and I believe that the crown is wrong. So that's going to end up being one expensive, incorrect watch if kept.

9. woodwkr2 Apr 16, 2014

You can always put it on a Bund to beef it up ;). Rich, I think we have twins.

citizenrich likes this.