Forums Latest Members
  1. teenagediplomat Sep 25, 2014

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1964-Omega-...617095631?pt=Wristwatches&hash=item3f3da3f7cfPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

does this dial seem like those replacement pre-pro's that are floating around to anyone else or is it just me? also, with all the talk about the 321 movement on the last 105.003, I'm sketched out about not being able to spot a mistake that all the watchmakers seem to notice immediately.. anyone see red flags?

2. Barking mad Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Sep 25, 2014

Dial is legit but the hands have been replaced. Movement looks ok.

Cheers

3. repoman Sep 25, 2014

The dial seems correct to the period, at least to me. Moonwatch Only refers to this dial as type A7. Movement and serial is legit, case overly polished but legit. Crown, bezel also look correct, with the bezel being in pretty good condition. Hands look ok too, but subdial hands look a little better than the rest of the watch. I see no major problems. I'm not familiar with the "replacement pre-pro dials floating around", but the patina on this one seems pretty consistent with the overall condition of the watch. Maybe somebody else can see something wrong.

4. teenagediplomat Sep 25, 2014

I can't place the seller at the moment but there was one in Japan who listed a 105.003 but it was a total overhaul and no way to really say if it was at all original, seeing as the movement could've been dropped in from another watch.. and I've seen a few "too good" condition cases for a 50 year old anything, let alone something worn daily per se

5. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Sep 25, 2014

I am not motivated to peruse this watch.

while it might have correct parts, I have to ask myself, is it attractive?

in this case, no.

i don't think the dial and hands have aged beautifully, and the case is polished.

i think it comes from a dealer, and has acquired a patina only found in dealers watches

teenagediplomat likes this.
  6. teenagediplomat Sep 25, 2014

there is something off about it, and how the minute hand is bent/crooked.. how would that even happen inside the case/crystal?

7. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Sep 26, 2014

Unfortunately, with the abundance of information available on the internet, if is all too easy for people to find out how to take the movement out of its case. Whether this is simply to play with the watch or to photograph the dial, who knows? They are not toys and I would not even take the back off of one of my watches after it had been serviced (until its next service)

I went to see one watch recently that the seller had photographed out of its case and when I pointed out a particular issue he said, "that must have happened when I dropped it as I was taking the movement out." ::facepalm1:: It's like all of these things, if you don't know what you're doing; don't do it.

Spacefruit and John R Smith like this.
  8. dennisthemenace Hey, he asked for it! Sep 26, 2014

I couldn't agree more, but the minute hand and the chrono second hand are supposed to be bent downwards.

9. bill5959 Sep 26, 2014

Here is what the seller replied: "A.Minasian Watch Repair in San Francisco completed the service. No parts were replaced at that time."

10. teenagediplomat Sep 28, 2014

11. teenagediplomat Sep 28, 2014

12. sulaco Sep 28, 2014

i would say that is a modern reclacement dial, no step, no T. Either that or the dial of the infamous Omega Speedmaster 1957 Replica

13. teenagediplomat Sep 28, 2014

my sarcasm may not translate well here but I'd say that we're not far off from seeing a seller list as "condition: too good to be gen"