Forums Latest Members
  1. gemuzz Oct 16, 2014

I just got my 3750.50 Speedmaster back from a full Omega service. I'm really happy with how it's come out, looks practically brand new, but one thing is bugging me about the crystal.

Excuse my crappy paint drawing but below is shape of the crystal that I had before it was sent away:.
    [​IMG]

And now I've got it back the replacement crystal is more this shape:
    [​IMG]

I realise it's only a minor difference but the shape of the dome was one of the favourite parts of my 3750.50! Can I reasonably complain about what's happened or is it just how they do it? I got the original crystal back with the watch but obviously it's a bit scratched up and I don't really want to have to send my Speedy off for another few weeks. Anyone had a similar experience or have any advice? Thanks

2. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Oct 16, 2014

3. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 16, 2014

Omega makes changes in products from time to time. Crystals are an item that frequently change with manufacturing technique and time. Even vintage crystals have changed over time. You could polish your old crystal and then have a watchmaker place it back on. This would not cost much. However there could be future issues with water resistance and durability. I would suggest accepting the new crystal, you may learn to like it.

initialjh and gemuzz like this.
  4. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Oct 16, 2014

The same crystal has been used in this watch across many models, so not sure why the new one would look different unless it had been polished a lot to make it flatter on top.

Assuming both have the Omega symbol in the middle?

5. gemuzz Oct 16, 2014

Yes they both have the Omega symbol and it doesn't look polished... If I do a google search I get some speedmaster crystals that look different, but it's hard to tell due to angle/lighting etc.

I think this may be what I'll have to do! Just seems a shame given that I felt it was perfect before. Ah well I'm sure I won't give it a second thought in a few months!

I'll take a look at this thanks! Not sure I want to DIY and risk ruining anything but I'll think about it.

6. Kringkily Omega Collector / Hunter Oct 17, 2014

B actually gives you better viewing angles...

7. g-boac Oct 17, 2014

without pictures of your actual crystals, your crystal "A" description is consistent with one which has been POLISHED to a different profile than original. The smoothly sloping "domed" hesalite crystal your described in "B" is correct. Rolex actually went in the opposite direction for their submariner line, and vintage Sub fans pay upwards of several hundred dollars a pop for classic domed crystals. We're lucky in the Speedy world, and enjoy your crystal!!

Feel free to follow up with additional pictures - but based on words alone, you now have a correct, proper, accurately-shaped and profiled hesalite crystal on your Speedy.

8. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 17, 2014

Yea B is the style you expect on it. The Rolexes are a bit different as the Sub/GMT/DJ with cyclops have to have a flat crystal surface or the optics of the magnifier would be wrong, you'd have to look at it from an angle to see the date rather than straight on. I've got the 1680 with the big top-hat crystal and its really one of the defining characteristics of that watch, no other Rolex had that (as the SDs had domes and no cyclops and after 1680 everything went sapphire). I think the 1680 one is probably one of the deepest rated flat surface plexis too.