Forums Latest Members
  1. rhetoric Jul 23, 2013

First post here so I hope it all works okay. My first Omega was inherited from my Dad, a 1978 Seamaster Cal 1020. Unfortunately it did not master the surf as it wasn't a 'Surfmaster', and though the watchmaker valiantly tried to resuscitate it, I was left with a slightly rusted watch. However, after discovering the existence of vintage watches I started wondering whether I could resurrect this family memento. I found a NOS replacement movement, a correct NOS dial, a new appropriate crown, and took all 3 to my surprised watchmaker. The case was pretty good, the hands retrievable and he was pretty pleased to be able to put it all together. The GP BOR bracelet was still good because I hadn't liked it and had already replaced it with a leather band.
    So, Dad's watch lives on and is often worn, especially on family occasions.
    1978 refurb tn.jpg 1978 Omega Seamaster.JPG

2. Central Scrutinizer hangs out in Joe's garage Jul 23, 2013

Very cool story with a great ending. Welcome to the forum too

dkennyken likes this.
  3. rhetoric Jul 23, 2013

Thanks for the welcome. I really appreciate it.

4. Boomer Jul 25, 2013

OK, another first time forum poster here...

My "1st" (and only) Omega vintage watch is the one shown below purchased new by my late father. It hasn't been worn in at least 35 yrs, yet started up right away and seems to be tracking accurately. I wandered into this forum somewhat accidentally after shopping recently for a new mid-sized automatic analog aviator-style watch. Not for mil/aviation use but simply as an alternative compared to Casio digitals I often wear. In doing so I thought to myself, "hey maybe that old Omega might do the trick". The Omega sub-forum on watchuseek caused me to google more info and I ended up here.

So I cleaned it up a bit with iso alcohol to remove accumulated grudge and took some pics. The case, bezel & bracelet are all in very nice condition with no significant scratching or blems (contrary to pics - light reflections make it look otherwise). The plastic crystal needs replacement though plus a thorough internal cleaning. Hopefully, those small "specs" on top of the face will come off during cleaning. If not, I'll leave it "as-is", 'cus it has patina from dear old dad using it so many years.

Since I'm a newbie on vintage classics, where did the Constellation model (regardless of finish style) fall within Omega's product line in the 1960's (guessing at date)? Were all Omegas chronograph rated back then or just models so-marked? Based on probable market value today, how much (maximum) such I budget for thorough cleaning and adjustment by an Omega expert? If more than its worth, maybe I'll return it to the dresser drawer from whence it came. Your candid comments and suggestions are welcomed...

TIA,
    Boomer

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. ulackfocus Jul 25, 2013

Hi Boomer. A 60's 56x Constellation is a nice heirloom. :thumbsup:

6. Boomer Jul 25, 2013

Thanks for the comment!

BTW, a warning to other newbies about using iso alcohol as a cleaning agent. I wasn't concerned about damaging the stainless metal components but iso definitely attacked the plastic crystal by making it dull and much cloudier than before. Not really a problem since I'd have that replaced but I'd be very upset if I did that right after being refurbished. Closer inspection of the dial/face indicates small particulate sitting on top rather than "growing from it". Hope that's so...

I'll be looking forward to other comments which include specific feedback on how much is practical to spend on my Constellation based on current market values. BTW, are better grade crystals (plastic or mineral) available to fit this particular watch?

7. AGEMO Jul 25, 2013

This is my 1957 Caliber 284. It is in the mail.

Face1.jpg Move.jpg
    Varasc likes this.
  8. ulackfocus Jul 25, 2013

Geez, it's HUGE! :p

9. Patrick Dixon How do these messages get here? Jul 26, 2013

http://omega-constellation-collectors.blogspot.co.uk/ is a good place to learn about Connies. I'm no expert but I reckon it would probably cost about £150 to clean and service and is worth maybe £300-400 as it's the less sought-after non-pie-pan dial. Looks mid-60's with a 564 movement - the case looks in nice condition so don't be tempted to polish it or mess around with the dial.

10. aga79 Jul 28, 2013

SAM_4482.JPG SAM_4487.JPG

My First Omega :
    a Constellation Integrated Line Caliber 1021

cicindela likes this.
  11. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 28, 2013

Nice dial on that one

12. ulackfocus Jul 28, 2013

Agreed. :thumbsup:

13. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Jul 30, 2013

Bought new in '72 from a catalogue while serving overseas. Not really fond of large, heavy watches so it sat in a drawer for 30+ years.
    Out of curiousity of what to do with it, I googled Omega and came across this forum.

The madness commenced.

Just got it back from a full service from Steve n2fhl, who did a great job!
    Pardon the shadows, that's Dablitzer, totally nude, in the background.
    IMGP3702.JPG IMGP3705.JPG IMGP3706.JPG IMGP3708.JPG

justwatching, teo66, Dogmann and 9 others like this.
  14. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Jul 30, 2013

That's definitely a top contender for "Best 1st Omega"!

15. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Jul 30, 2013

Thanks, Lou!

16. Alpha Kilt Owner, Beagle Parent, Omega Collector Jul 30, 2013

And your photo background could blow on my crown any time at all :cool:

Paulomega likes this.
  17. Hijak Jul 30, 2013

didn't realize this was that type of forum;)

18. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Jul 30, 2013

That's Vanna in about '87

Alpha likes this.
  19. Alpha Kilt Owner, Beagle Parent, Omega Collector Jul 30, 2013

Just an old guy having flashbacks :whistling:

20. LuminousMaximus Jul 30, 2013

Ok Here's mine... Front says Gene've and the back says deVille...Don't ask...{:+<

1969 18kt solid gold cal. 1002 20 jewels

IMG_0169.JPG IMG_0166.JPG IMG_0138.JPG