Forums Latest Members

Poll: Do you guys really despise inscriptions that much?

1. alam Jan 27, 2015

Ok, I'm quoting Dennis's original question above just to get a general idea about the feeling of those around here who care to answer. Note that long dissertations are not required - selecting an answer is just fine.

Assume you come across the opportunity to get an all-original and with an overall decent-shape condition vintage watch but its only distraction is an engraved caseback similar to http://omegaforums.net/threads/1951-omega-seamaster-cal-351-bumper.21011/#post-228129 or http://omegaforums.net/threads/1956-omega-seamaster-hooded-lugs-cal-500.20968/ Lets further assume a donor watch that could be the source for the correct and clean caseback is out of the equation.

1. You would:

A. Disregard immediately

B. Maybe consider depending on other merits

C. Definitely consider depending on other merits

2. If you were to consider, what would be the criteria most important to get you to buy or negotiate?

A. a super ridiculous low price?
    B. a one-in-a-life-time opportunity to get a super rare model?
    C. potential to rid off the inscription and restore without too much damage?
    D. other

3. Have you purchased a watch with an inscription from an unknown in the past? (e.g. not belonging to a family member or someone you knew)

Y or N

Edited Jan 30, 2015
  2. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Jan 27, 2015

1.) B, maybe

2.) lower price

3.) No (not yet)

alam likes this.
  3. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Jan 27, 2015

I haven't yet seen the watch bearing an inscription that I'd "pull the trigger on."

I'm same way about my vintage firearms. I don't mind honest wear on a collectible model but don't look at re-blued guns or those with aftermarket "bubba modifications." Learned long ago that non-factory modifications loom large after the newness of initial ownership wears off.

Now watches and re-dials begin to bug me the same way since I joined up here. Some redials live here but I didn't know any better. Still don't have good recognition skills but am much more aware than I was.

alam likes this.
  4. alam Jan 27, 2015

:confused:

image.jpg
    Edited Jan 27, 2015
    RawArcher likes this.
  5. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Jan 27, 2015

1. C - Center seconds Longines monopusher? Absolutely consider

2. a & b - complicated equation between grotesqueness of the inscription, price and rarity of the model. For a Zenith Cal 135 with the coffin markers a garish inscription would just be an opportunity to acquire at a discount. There is a very short list of watches that no inscription can ruin.

3. Yes. Didn't hurt a bit, hardly.

alam likes this.
  6. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Jan 27, 2015

#1 & #2 are a mixed bag for me.

For an "ordinary" reference, I would definitely consider an inscribed example if it is something I like/want, and the price is right.

However, I strongly believe I would not pull the trigger on an inscribed "grail" level watch, unless it was of historical significance. However, this is an untested belief thus far.

As for #3

Maybe, maybe not. :whistling:

alam likes this.
  7. kyle L Grasshopper Staff Member Jan 27, 2015

I agree with Lou :)

Fritz likes this.
  8. proximal Jan 27, 2015

1. C
    2. the first is probably most important, but the other options also apply
    3. No

I probably don't mind inscriptions as much as some other people, though. It says to me that at some point, someone really cared about this thing.

Northernman and alam like this.
  9. woodwkr2 Jan 27, 2015

1. C
    2. a/b
    3. Yes

In fact, I kinda love inscriptions. We buy watches--vintage watches, at least--as much for the circumstances of their manufacture and technical merits as for the "story" of the watch as it was used and loved or neglected over the years. To repeat a line that I use: the inscription adds a charming bit of provenance to a fine watch.

10. SeanO Jan 27, 2015

the issue of inscriptions is irrelevant. Every vintage watch has a history and when you purchase the watch you acquire the history of it as well.

if you substitute the case back for another then you destroy the history of the watch.

given how much shite is dribbled here about originality this conversation confuses me.

Spike and Northernman like this.
  11. bilemshious Jan 27, 2015

1) B
    2) Lower price
    3) No (not yet)

alam likes this.
  12. hondaman Jan 27, 2015

1....C

2....Lower price

3...Yes

alam likes this.
  13. Andy K Dreaming about winning an OFfie one day. Jan 27, 2015

c, other, yes. I like some, but not all engravings. I particularly like award or retirement watches.

alam likes this.
  14. redpcar Jan 27, 2015

1. C
    2. Expect a much lower price except for a military related inscription. I kinda feel sorry buying them thinking some crummy kid took grandpa's watch and pawned it. I think they should all stay in the family.
    3. Yes. Many. Military inscriptions seem to add value to the watches. Colonel and above, of course.

alam likes this.
  15. jordn Wants to be called Frank for some odd reason Jan 27, 2015

1. C - as long as it doesn't look like chicken scratch. I once saw an early 2998 in relatively good shape, only to have my heart sink when I turned it over and saw what I can only describe as the work of child that needs some serious discipline
    2. A/B - As long as it is tastefully done, an inscription can add to the desirability of a watch for me (emphasis on "for me")
    3. Y

alam likes this.
  16. puddlep1rate Jan 27, 2015

Actually, I'd like to just change my answer to I probably wouldn't even consider it and would move on. Buying a watch with an inscription on it is like finding out my girlfriend has a tattoo of her ex's name on her body somewhere.

Edited Jan 27, 2015
    Buckeyes#1, dougiedude and alam like this.
  17. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Jan 27, 2015

Nope, I move on.

Bought a vintage JLC with an inscription, sold 6 weeks later.

alam likes this.
  18. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jan 27, 2015

Plain case back wouldn't bother me.

Decorated and Longines case backs are a different story.

alam likes this.
  19. citizenrich Metal Mixer! Jan 28, 2015

(C.)

(other)

(Y)

Am i allowed to expound at all? I'll takes my chances: I like a watch with a tasteful engraving!

I wish I could find Harry Truman's Flying Officer. Wouldn't mind that engraving...

Edited Jan 28, 2015
    marturx and alam like this.
  20. TheCaptainOfTech Jan 28, 2015

1) B
    2) Lower Price
    3) NO

alam likes this.