Forums Latest Members

Pocket 18K Gold n. 2722821

1. Avezzone Apr 2, 2014

Could anyone help me to date this Zenith pocket watch? 1.jpg 5.jpg 10007449_838652086162711_464774394_n.jpg 3.jpg 2.jpg

2. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Apr 2, 2014

1926-1927 according to Nicola's date table I believe

3. Avezzone Apr 2, 2014

My jeweler valued it around € 500. Is it correct, in your opinion?

4. Fritz genuflects before the mighty quartzophobe Apr 2, 2014

Not long ago I paid $400 for a Zenith from that exact era in far better condition. It was higher jewel count, higher finish movement in a gold filled case, I would say worth quite a bit more. The watch you're looking at, unless its solid gold, wouldn't be worth more then $300 in Canada. So maybe 200 Euro.

Having said that, stuff like that does sell for more in Europe than over here. I was in Italy last year and watches I paid a few hundred for in Canada were often as much as twice as much when I saw them over there.

So, 300 - 400 Euro? For 500 I would expect a lot better.

Sorry I don't have a photo of my Zenith..... it went in a trade for a nice Omega.

5. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Apr 2, 2014

He said it's 18k gold. It's worth more than that. I'm not a pocket watch guy, though, so I'll let someone who knows the market speak up.

6. Fritz genuflects before the mighty quartzophobe Apr 2, 2014

Its worth its weight in the gold of the case, that's all. I could sell my mint, solid gold, 1893 Waltham for more if I throw the movement in the trash and melt the case down then if I sell it as a watch.

The unfortunate thing about pocket watches is, unless they're really something special (Patek Chronometer Moonphase Monkeybrain Special or something) they're not worth much. I've got a dozen high end railway watches in good condition and most cost me under $500 CDN through a dealer, including a good servicing. All are in gold filled or nickel cases.

In the 70s a lot of solid gold and silver cases got melted for the metal value, many of the movements were just scrapped.

You could find a much nicer watch if you buy one in a clean gold filled case. I'd keep looking. Unless you're into the big dollar stuff most pocket watches are good for the beauty of the movement and the fun of having the old timepiece than as an investment.

(that last statement may piss the pocket watch collectors but its unfortunately fairly realistic)