Forums Latest Members

Please Don't Pry Your Bezels Off....

1. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Apr 6, 2013

So I received a pretty beat up SMP in the shop recently for a full service and some case work. The owner had taken it to a "watchmaker" in a large US city, but there were some issues with the watch, so it ended up on my bench. The owner confirmed that this "watchmaker" had removed the bezel on the watch, and that although there were already marks on the lugs, it was worse after this guy had his paws on it.

Here are some shots of the damage:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Not only has the "prying" motion dug the back side of the blade into the lug, destroying the sharp corner, but the sharp part of the blade went too deep and has damaged the surface the bezel rides on:

[​IMG]

Of course not only was the case damaged quite badly, but this "watchmaker" bent the snot out of the bezel:

I was sent a used bezel with a blue insert to replace the bezel that was bent, so I popped the blue insert out of the straight bezel with my fingers. However the bezel with the black insert was so bent I had to use a press to remove the black insert. Fortunately the insert was not bent, so I snapped it into the straight bezel, and after cleaning the case up it looks/works pretty well all things considered:

[​IMG]

Of course I could not remove all the hack marks, so to restore this completely it would require laser welding and a lot of refinishing, but I often find that bringing back the contrast between the brushed and polished surfaces will make a watch look 95% new, and not require removal of so much material that the case shape is lost.

For removing rotating dive bezels, there is no better tool IMO than the one Omega sells - here is a swap of a bezel on a PO:

Select the right die:

[​IMG]

Grip, twist, and voila:

[​IMG]

Lubricate the click spring:

[​IMG]

Push, turn, and click, and it's all good - no damage done:

[​IMG]

Yes it is expensive, but it does the job without any damage to the watch case or the bezel, and I use it on many different brands.

For fixed bezels that is a different subject all together, and sometimes yes a case knife or razor blade is used (never prying!), but I also have what I consider to be the best fixed bezel remover on the market in this one:

[​IMG]

Works like a charm:

[​IMG]

Anyway, I know many will say they have removed bezels using a case knife with no problems, but I see damage like the watch above pretty often (mostly by watch owners, but more than one "watchmaker" has done similar damage also), so I recommend using the proper tools, or taking it to someone who has the proper tools.

Cheers, Al

2. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 6, 2013

Yea Trev's Seamaster Pro chrono diver was so badly bent when he got it that it needed replacement, and that was not cheap. I've been guilty of doing this to my 1680 Submariner, but I used a sort of wedge shaped blade and worked it off gently since its a much less tight fitment, but I won't be doing it again.

3. ulackfocus Apr 6, 2013

D.I.Y. or going to a "bargain" place can get really expensive.

KingCrouchy and Spacefruit like this.
  4. Alpha Kilt Owner, Beagle Parent, Omega Collector Apr 6, 2013

That fixed bezel removal tool is one sharp piece of kit, really appreciate the occasional glimpse of your professional setup :thumbsup:

VictorAlpha likes this.
  5. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 6, 2013

Al it looks like you could slice cold cuts with that thing too, making it more economical.:thumbsup:

6. pascs Apr 6, 2013

Wow I'd be furious if my case got damaged like that.

Always nice to see Al's setup :thumbsup:

7. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Apr 6, 2013

Flintstones watchmaking.
    Painful to look at.

8. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Apr 6, 2013

Hi Al,
    I am curious, is replacing Speedmaster Pro bezel also the same with Seamasters above? I saw Speedy Pro bezel modified into different type of bezel insert: silver, Base 1000, Pulsation etc

9. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Apr 6, 2013

The Speedmaster is a fixed bezel, and I have used the fixed bezel remover in the last 2 photos to remove them before. I have never tried swapping bezel inserts on a Speedmaster bezel, and of course Omega does not sell just the inserts for any of their bezels. Different bezels with different scales are available though.

Cheers, Al

moonphaselover likes this.
  10. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Apr 6, 2013

Where does one buy either of those bezel removers?

11. ulackfocus Apr 6, 2013

Yeah, I like that fixed bezel tool. Don't have much use for the ratchet bezel tool personally.

12. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Apr 7, 2013

The Omega tool is available from Omega of course. I believe Otto Frei sells it as well - I would be wary of their price though as it's likely not a current price:

http://www.ofrei.com/page443.html

Once they order it and find out the price you will likely have an increase.

The fixed bezel removal tool is only available through Jules Borel from my knowledge. It was designed by a watchmaker and he sells them through JB only I think.

There are other similar devices, but they are not as god as this one.

Cheers, Al

dodo44 and fskywalker like this.
  13. dkpw Apr 7, 2013

Another fascinating insight Al, thank you.

I followed Jocke's famous bezel removal tutorial over five years ago, in order to realign my Sub's insert which was misaligned. However from all I've read, Omega's are far less amenable to DIY fettling and the transition to ceramic bezels probably makes that even more the case.

14. ulackfocus Apr 7, 2013

I liked his cyclops removal thread better. :p :p :p

15. dkpw Apr 8, 2013

It was rather brutal, wasn't it...

16. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Apr 8, 2013

Yes, most Rolex bezels are a different design than Omegas are, and actually removing and replacing the Rolex design often can cause the bezel to be loose and pop off easily.

Cheers, Al

fskywalker likes this.
  17. fskywalker Oct 24, 2014

Hi Al, thanks for very informative tutorial! Can a ceramic bezel insert for a SMP ceramic be purchased alone? OFREI does not sells it and wonder if it can be sourced.

18. roach7 Oct 24, 2014

Thanks for reviving this post, missed it the first time.

Excellent post Al!

19. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Oct 24, 2014

Actually the ceramic bezel inserts are now available as separate items, which was a bit of a surprise for me as none of the other inserts are available...

fskywalker likes this.
  20. Fusion Oct 24, 2014

nice post Al

ron n likes this.