Forums Latest Members

Package arrived missing its contents. Please advise.

1. Modest_Proposal Trying too hard to be one of the cool kids Nov 25, 2014

In late July, a package containing an Omega RG chronometre was sent to me from a nice fellow in Germany.

After a few weeks of waiting for it, I checked the tracking information, and the package seemed to be stuck in customs. I and the seller discussed this at length and after about a month and a half, we agreed the package was not going to arrive. It would most likely be sent back to him because of an address problem or it was lost and he would have to collect insurance money.

A refund was given an the item was cancelled. I told him I would deny the package if it were sent to me or pay again once it arrived.

Four months later (!) I received a package from Germany...

I didn't think twice about accepting it. I had literally long forgotten about this whole mess and could not believe a package could remain in circulation for four months. I signed for it and thought nothing of it. After all, I received foreign packages multiple times per month - some of them watches.

I opened the package and found that there was nothing in it! At first I thought somebody was trying to screw me over, but then I looked at the address and investigated.... and found out it was the guy from Germany!

I told him about this and we're trying to find solutions. The watch did not arrive back at his place. How should we proceed and is there a chance of mounting a case for him in Germany with enough evidence?

I did not supply pictures of the customs declaration or the top of the package, to preserve privacy.

IMG_20141125_092428827.jpg IMG_20141125_092435330.jpg IMG_20141125_092457055.jpg IMG_20141125_092504455.jpg IMG_20141125_092541512.jpg IMG_20141125_092550703.jpg IMG_20141125_092615775.jpg
  2. Ray916MN Nov 25, 2014

Report it to the carrier immediately. Provide them all documentation. Assuming the sender insured it, he needs the report to claim insurance through his local carrier office if he has not already submitted a claim and received payment.

3. chickenman26 Nov 25, 2014

You signed for a package in that condition before confirming the contents hadn't spilled out or been stolen?

4. Modest_Proposal Trying too hard to be one of the cool kids Nov 25, 2014

The box had no serious open breaches. Sure, it was a little beat up - but the condition fell within the range of international packages.

5. alam Nov 25, 2014

Is the first photo showing the outer box? is that a fist-size hole? ::confused2::

::popcorn::

6. Modest_Proposal Trying too hard to be one of the cool kids Nov 25, 2014

That is actually the inner box. The brown colored box is the outer box, which was tightly sealed.

Yes, the inner box does, conveniently, have a fist sized hole in it. :mad:

7. Modest_Proposal Trying too hard to be one of the cool kids Nov 25, 2014

I feel it important to mention that the sender specified it as a "vintage omega watch" and valued it at 2000 euros on the customs sheet attached to the box.

Let this be a catch-22 lesson for you all... to label or not to label? That is the question.

8. DLT222 Double D @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 25, 2014

I had the same...

Won an auction on eBay for a spare apollo 11 40th box...

Paid for it, shipped... Weeks later no package, 2 months later still no box. Seller refunded me and low and behold a month later the box arrived.

I also didn't pay much attention to it as I get shipments every day.

Looked at the outer box it was clear that it had been opened and the contents looked at to see if there was a watch in it.

I reported it to USPS and a claim was made! Im genuinely think your watch has been stolen!

9. alam Nov 25, 2014

[​IMG]

DLT222 and dougiedude like this.
  10. JohnSteed Nov 25, 2014

I know one insurance company advises NEVER to put any sort of lable or description on packages...for this reason

11. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Nov 25, 2014

Yes Parcelpro but how do you declare for customs purposes and isn't it illegal to misdeclare?

12. JohnSteed Nov 25, 2014

Guess what's declared for purposes of customs need not be advertised on package exterior...

13. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Nov 25, 2014

Try telling that to FedEx, or any other private courier, for that matter. Customs declarations would need to be on the outside of the box for the broker to calculate the correct duty.

And people wonder why we in the US are reluctant to deal with international shipping regulations if we don't have to?

I know this sort of thing can happen anywhere, but we very rarely hear about it on this side of the Atlantic.

Unfortunately, it may be the price of doing business for some of us.
    gatorcpa

14. JohnSteed Nov 25, 2014

Agree with you, but I'm sure we get through that hassle...somehow

I don't ship out of the US, usually. Think these are separate docs. I will soon find out from practical experience!

15. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Nov 26, 2014

Separate declaration that is place on an external plastic sleeve.

16. DLT222 Double D @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 26, 2014

I have removed the image with the barcode. All the information you need is on that singe picture!

Waynepjr likes this.
  17. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Nov 26, 2014

IMO putting high value declaration outside box is an open invitation for theft.

18. JohnSteed Nov 26, 2014

+1

Yup....Which is how I sent the one package

19. Waynepjr Nov 26, 2014

Well..... Now that we know that Modest' package was delivered at 3:03 pm ( yes, let's not post pics of our packages anymore shall we.... ) let me drop some insight on this from an insider.
    Some may know but before I was "retired" by them, I worked for the USPS for 23 years in many capacities, one of which was in Expedited Services, Express Mail to the layman. DHL is by far the worst private carrier the Post Office deals with, bar none. This package was sent by the sender by what we would call Standard Mail. The slowest!!!
    So, Hansel recieved this package and puts on a DHL.DE tracking number that you cannot track unless you go to their German website. The package slowly, no matter what part of the country it is in, makes it way to Frankfurt Airport to DHL's giant sorting plant and waits. When they are good and ready, this may be some time depending on volume, will proceed to customs, X-ray, dog sniffing, before being cleared to leave Germany. And then it waits again. Remember, it is standard mail to them.... No timeframe for delivery. When they have space on a plane, it leaves.
    Upon arrival in New York, it goes through our system and customs before being released to DHL. Pretty fast, 2-3 days on average depending on volume. Then DHL gives the package a new tracking number and provides it and the package to the Post Office which you as the customer can now track. At this point, your package moves rather fast because the Post Office treats DHL packages as First Class mail and not Standard as they did. ::rant:
    I can say with the utmost confidence that the watch did not make it very far from its starting point before being "lost". A claim should have been filed LONG ago on this package, if so there is nothing to do but take the package to your Post Office and explain the story. They will most likely take the package as evidence and send it to the Postal Inspection Service. If a claim has not been filed, you as the person who was to get the watch files the claim as you do not get the product. When the claim is paid, you reimburse the seller if need be....

Wayne

Mods likes this.
  20. Waynepjr Nov 26, 2014

As for sending watches overseas..... If you are NOT in the US, I would advice you use FedEx. FedEx does a wonderful job of screening employees, have cameras in all their sorting sights and just the time factor they work on make it very difficult for anyone to mess with packages. If you buy from a person overseas, ask them to mail with FedEx even if it cost you more especially if coming from France, Germany, Italy and Greece or the Far East.
    If sending overseas from the States, I recommend registered mail from the Post Office. It will take a bit longer but is the safest way to mail bar none. Must be signed for the entire way, put in a safe every night and signed for at delivery. If you want it there faster, send it Priority Mail Express which is 2-3 days to most major markets or FedEx.
    As far as those customs forms..... It does not say nor do you have to be specific about what is inside and that is for ANY carrier. You don't have to put down "Patek Super Complication". If you are sending a vintage watch you declare "vintage wrist watch". That's it. That's IT!
    I will not discuss declared value here because that is something between you and the recipient. Some countries will charge VAT based up declared value. I will discuss this by PM if anyone has questions.

Wayne

browncow, NT931, Privateday7 and 5 others like this.