Forums Latest Members
  1. FRAME Feb 9, 2014

Hi,

Can anyone tell me some more about this watch?

[​IMG]

2. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Feb 9, 2014

Well it isnt a "high end brand", beyond that, no. Is it new/newish? Do you have any more photos?

3. FRAME Feb 9, 2014

No, just those. It 's a new watch and i't up for auction now, highest price including taxes is 1.650€. I was thinking of placing a bet.

4. FRAME Feb 9, 2014

a bet = a bid, sorry

5. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Feb 9, 2014

If there are no other photos, I would pass. Who knows what thr back is like, the insides, etc.

6. FRAME Feb 9, 2014

I've got more info now: it 's a TT3 'Williams' limited edition titanium watch. I also got a picture of the back:

[​IMG]

7. Northernman Lemaniac Feb 9, 2014

Elaborate grade eta/valjoux 7750 in Titanium case. The price I have no thoughts on. Oris is a proper Swiss brand and make medium market segment watches. I own a Williams non chrono myself and is quite pleased with the build quality and finish.
    Let your own taste and wallet decide. However this should not be treated as a future investment. It does not have the pedigree to become collectible IMHO.
    :thumbsup:

8. ulackfocus Feb 9, 2014

You can edit your post. Just click on the little gear at the bottom right, then click on the pencil.

[​IMG]

9. ulackfocus Feb 9, 2014

It has a Valjoux 7750 inside. If it's really selling for €1650 pass on it. That's about twice what any sane person would pay IMO, but I've been wrong before.

10. FRAME Feb 9, 2014

Thanks for the info, guys.

@ Northernman, can I ask what IMHO stands for? And talking of collectibles, what brands and types of watches should I look for?

11. ulackfocus Feb 9, 2014

IMO = In My Opinion

IMHO = In My Humble Opinion

12. Northernman Lemaniac Feb 9, 2014

Hi! You are posting in the Omega forum so answers may be more than a little biased. in general it is easier to go with the big and high/up market brands. The time period up to the 1970s are my favorite.
    JLC, Zenith and Omega are always good. Rolex is not my cup of tea, but fine.
    It all boils down to taste.
    Happy hunting!

13. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Feb 9, 2014

Oris is a bit of an oddball brand. I used to consider them good value for the money, but not so much anymore. They tend to have odd lugs and strap attachments, so fitting non-Oris branded straps and bracelets can be difficult. Their straps and bracelets are not cheap either.

I have serviced a lot of them, and found issues with dials fading, hands and indices corroding, and all for no apparent reason such as moisture. Parts are no longer available to independent watchmakers, so although the movement is easily serviced, if you need hands, dial, crown, case tube etc., you are stuck with factory service, which is not cheap.

Out of the box their timekeeping standards are pretty low. The movements are capable of much more so it tells me they just can't be bothered to tweak the movements...other than painting the rotor red...

Not something I would spend a lot of money on unless I really liked the design.

Cheers, Al

14. ulackfocus Feb 9, 2014

Thanks Al. I used to think of them as a good bang-for-the-buck brand too.

Marking this so I can find it later when asked about Oris. (ecclesiastical)

15. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Feb 9, 2014

that's excellent info, Al, very much appreciated in the sea of unsupported opinion