Forums Latest Members
  1. tyscottb Jul 24, 2013

Newbie here. I'm looking to purchase a Omega Automatic 1967 Orange Bowl Watch that is very similar to the one in this link and pictured here: http://www.farfo.com/menswatches/Page6/omega_automatic_1966_orange_bowl_vintage_watch.html

The problem is that I cannot find any reference to this watch for 1967. There are a few references out there to the 1966 version. Any info as to it's value, the original band it came with, etc. would be most helpful and appreciated. Feel free to PM me: [email protected]

omega_automatic_1966_orange-bowl_vintage_watch.jpg
  2. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jul 24, 2013

It was very common for these college bowl games to give out nice watches to players and coaches. The Cotton Bowl gave Rolex watches at around the same time.

[​IMG]

I was able to find reference to a 1967 Orange Bowl watch for sale on Craigslist, but won't post the link here as it might be the one you are looking at. I can send it to you by PM if you want.

No pictures on the Craigslist ad, but description sounds the same as the Farfo example you included in your post. The price asked there looks reasonable if the watch is in good shape, but without any pictures, who knows?

My guess is that these watches likely were US market models that came with a 17 cal. 550 movement, or possibly a 24 jewel cal. 552. They probably had a simple leather watchband not much different than the one you see there and a buckle with an Omega logo.

Generally these bowl watches have the name of the presentee engraved on the back. It should be a pretty simple matter to establish provenance to someone on either team by Googling up the respective rosters.

I'm familiar with that 1967 game, since it matched my Florida Gators against Georgia Tech. Current South Carolina coach Steve Spurrier was the Heisman Trophy winner that year and was the winning quarterback for the Gators.

I don't think the bowl tie-in adds a lot to the value unless the player became famous later on. For example, if you were buying Spurrier's watch, the sky's the limit, particularly to a Gators fan like me!

Hope this helps,
    gatorcpa

3. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 24, 2013

I understand that someone once paid a buck three eighty for a famous Flyers player's watch .:rolleyes:

4. ulackfocus Jul 24, 2013

It was broken, which would be typical of anything Broad Street Bully owned. :D

5. tyscottb Jul 25, 2013

Thanks, gatorcpa. Great info.