Forums Latest Members
  1. Agjvf Mar 10, 2014

2. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Mar 10, 2014

3. woodwkr2 Mar 10, 2014

Beautiful piece that, with a reasonable asking price in 18k...

There's some strange things about this watch though. For one, the amateurish circular graining of the outside snap back. I almost wonder if they were scrubbing out an inscription and trying not to polish it smooth thereby preserving the reference/case numbers. If you zoom in, it looks like there's a hand engraved number floating just above the stamped number on the back.

For a nearly new looking watch, the rose colored pushers have some strange wear on their corners. This isn't unusual wear, but is normally seen with watches that were worn regularly. The side graining is not quite right; this case has definitely seem some touching up, but by someone who knew what they were doing (albeit with poor execution).

Crown is a poor replacement as you pointed out. It's not even the same color gold.

Dial looks good/original to me. The subdials are well executed. The font is age appropriate for the dial furniture. But... then you're left starring at all that white space. Where Uni-Compax is conspicuously absent.

The sub seconds hand is a poor replacement.

The reference number isn't to be found in Sala, but that doesn't concern me. Sala, while extensive, was not exhaustive.

The movement is a 285, which is corroborated by the reference number.

In sum, I'm not real sure what to conclude about this one. It's pretty, and new looking, but I suspect that there's a second history to this piece that isn't being disclosed, and likely can't be found out with internet pictures.

Agjvf likes this.
  4. Agjvf Mar 10, 2014

Thanks a lot for your quick and valuable assessment!

I hadn't seen the lost definition on the lugs indeed; too bad it's overpolished.
    Net, overpriced too?

5. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Mar 10, 2014

I say yes. Really, once you've lost the case definition, does price matter? It's not worth buying.

6. woodwkr2 Mar 10, 2014

Explains why I wasn't finding it in the Uni-Compax section.

So I'm leaning towards well worn case with a NOS dial, that for some reason, wasn't stamped Uni-Compax.

I'd normally leap to redial... but the fonts and subdials are very very convincing.

7. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Mar 10, 2014

I agree with that - I've never seen a redial that good. Except for that Vietnamese Space-Compax.

8. Agjvf Mar 10, 2014

Thanks again for the valuable insights! I'm glad I asked!
    There is indeed an 8 digit hand engraved code on the back and also a hand engraved 'signature' on the inside. Wonder what the history is ;-)

9. woodwkr2 Mar 10, 2014

The markings on the inside are where watchmaker's like to deface, I mean sign (and sometimes date) the case backs of the watches they service. It's mostly the old school guys who do that now. The younger ones are more respectful--and efficient--usually just using a sharpie to date and initial their service.

Despite the aesthetics, it can be a handy way to assess the likelihood that a watch still contains 100% factory parts.

The more signatures, the more servicing, and the more likely something was replaced. The rolex crowd seems to care more about this stuff.

I use it to make a quick moral judgment about the previous owner.