Forums Latest Members
  1. SW4323 Aug 24, 2014

Is this crown right for this model? does the watch look nice? Someone who knows the value of it?

CAL 551

o6tFIdT.jpg _MG_3010.jpg
  2. Hijak Aug 24, 2014

Crown is a replacement, dial looks good and case looks over polished. Would need to see the case back, inside and out and also see movement to put an accurate value on this watch.

3. SW4323 Aug 24, 2014

Here are some more pictures, over polished might be wrong since it has been an old mans watch for a long time and i just cleaned it.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
  4. Hijak Aug 24, 2014

I was referring to the lugs specifically...If you look at the picture below notice how sharp the bevels are on the lugs..then look at your watch and see how they are worn down and rounded.
    Wrist Shot, 6.JPG
    The case back looks good, that's a plus.

5. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Aug 24, 2014

Later versions of this model had crown like this, so it could be original. Collectors prefer the 10-sided crown, but replacements for these are made of unobtanium. Also, some gold-capped cases did not have quite as sharp lug folds as sold gold or steel versions. There were several different manufacturers of these cases. The condition of the observatory case medallion is far more important IMO, and this one is very nice.

Examples of this case reference in average condition have been going for around $1,000 (£625) and sometimes much more. This one is better than average. Check completed eBay listings.
    gatorcpa

6. Mothra Aug 25, 2014

Don't wind it - its got a possibly original yellow case gasket and there are no watchmakers service marks in the case back - it may not have been serviced ever and theres almost certainly no oil left in the movement.

7. SW4323 Aug 25, 2014

There are ingravings from watchmaker, and it holds good timeing, and runs very well

8. jose75 Aug 25, 2014

Hey....well if it helps I pay $ 1100....!!!!

GL..!!!

JB
    image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

9. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Aug 25, 2014

... which means absolutely nothing. As oil ages it solidifies into a type of resin and traps any dust or debris. This embedded debris acts as an abrasive and wears the parts that revolve against it, causing more debris. This will either lead to a big bill for replacement parts if you eventually have it fixed, or a bargain for those of us who have the relevant spare parts when it packs up and you decide to sell it.

Even removing the case back to photograph the movement will allow the ingress of dust that will find its way into new oil and sit there until this process starts which is why the only time my watches are opened, after they are serviced, is when they are next serviced. When I buy a watch where it is claimed to have bee serviced, I always ask if the movement photos were taken during the service or afterwards.

10. SW4323 Aug 25, 2014

Yes . So all watches needs to service from time to time even if they run good? But if i dont use the watch? Do i need to service it?

11. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Aug 25, 2014

Yes you do. The latest generation of lubricants have a shelf life of 5 years and Omega, for instance, won't let their authorised service agents use an oil that is more than two years old as they offer a two year warranty on service. The suggested service interval of five years on something like a Breitling is not just a money making exercise. Do you ignore the service on your car?

12. SW4323 Aug 26, 2014

For $1300 I will sell it I think

and for oiling, you are right. But it is only if i use it if i just want to keep it in a drawer and wind it every 6 months it is ok with no service right?

13. Patrick Dixon How do these messages get here? Aug 26, 2014

If you keep it in a draw and don't service it, then don't wind it either.