Forums Latest Members

Omega Neptune @ upcoming Geneva Antiquorum

1. citizenrich Metal Mixer! Apr 11, 2014

I'll be back with more info later (like a real picture or, you could find it yourself).

suckering me in with a pretty low estimate; unless there's some serious defect for this particular watch.

I ain't giving advice but in my humblest opinion this watch is a serious long term put-away. They can't even repro it. Literally.

Anyone else see this one yet? i don't think this watch sells for anywhere close to the estimate. I guess I'll find out...

probably hoping dupes like me buy something else when it sells over estimate. That's how the game works, right?

stolen from the intertubes without permission:
    http://www.antiquorum.com/mobile/auction/

image.jpg
  2. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Apr 11, 2014

citizenrich likes this.
  3. Gavin It's the quiet ones you have to 'watch' out for. Apr 11, 2014

The Museum doesn't behave like a collector. They probably won't need to put up 2 of the same watches.

woodwkr2 and citizenrich like this.
  4. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Apr 11, 2014

Omega museum maybe but Patek museum does not. And the omega museum actually has many multiples of many models - you can tell from assigned numbers to the watches photographed in AJTT and it shows that the omega museum owns a few thousand vintage omegas including multiples for several models.

5. citizenrich Metal Mixer! Apr 11, 2014

::popcorn:: So, this one is a GP 18k case, 1954.

I wonder if this is one of the 5 of this particular dial which Omega says was produced.

it would be odd to put a $30k - $50k estimate on a knock off when they know they sold one in an 18k SG case for only $6k fairly recently. The Omega buy was an outlier...maybe.

isn't 50k a little closer to where these dials sell?

6. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 11, 2014

"An extremely fine and rare Neptune Cloisonne Seamaster mounted in a later gold plated case"

The trouble is.. it still looks quite different to the known good Cloisonnes

Screen Shot 2014-04-12 at 12.14.13 pm.png

citizenrich likes this.
  7. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 11, 2014

The horse's eye on the Omega museum's Neptune opens towards the front and has no mascara or line extending from the eye, the Antiquorum gold plated Seamaster has an opening at the back and extends beyond the eye, shape is a bit different too

Screen Shot 2014-04-12 at 12.19.42 pm.png

citizenrich likes this.
  8. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 11, 2014

Thing is even the Rolex versions of that dial design have the same features

GENEVA_Nov11_5.jpg Neptune_rolex.jpg

woodwkr2 and citizenrich like this.
  9. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Apr 11, 2014

The fact that the case is wrong increases scrutiny of the dial tenfold IMO in this price range.

citizenrich likes this.
  10. citizenrich Metal Mixer! Apr 11, 2014

Holy crap, I'm an idiot. I just erased a fairly long reply to Ash. Basically, the Christie's - Omega Museum Neptune was done by a Mrs. Nelly Richard, who was supposed to be the best in the business at this craft. She probably did the Rolex Neptune's as well. These things were commissioned exactly like art which makes sense since they are art. The Rolex Neptune's look like they were done by Mrs. Richard but there are differences from the (1) Omega Neptune we know for a fact was her work.

This is fun stuff for people who like to sleuth. I wish I were better at it...

11. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 11, 2014

AFIAK all of the neptunes were done at about the same time too, the Omega's have sequential serial numbers and the Rolexes are also from 1953/1954

12. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 12, 2014

It'll be interesting to see what movement, and what serial number is on it.

13. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Apr 12, 2014

::popcorn::