Forums Latest Members
  1. Mary255 Jan 12, 2013

Does Japan make Omega watches? It's an "Omega DeVille". Engraved at the back: "Stainless Steel Back Water Resistant Japan Movt". I opened the back and nowhere does it say "Omega". I bought this months ago from eBay for $250. It's a woman's watch and it looks pretty nice.

Hmmm - thinking I was duped. Any other way to look at it? :(

2. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 12, 2013

Nope, no other way to look at it.

3. ulackfocus Jan 12, 2013

There are some very good counterfeits and the movement is the only way to spot them. However, there is a chance that a quartz movement burned out and a Japanese quartz caliber the same size was installed.

4. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 12, 2013

Yea but man the CASEBACK has Japan Movement on it, even if that were the case the caseback wouldn't say that.

Farmer and Foo2rama like this.
  5. Mary255 Jan 12, 2013

So I guess, in other words, Omega should always be "Swiss" - anything otherwise would be fake, right? By the way, I bought this in September - just opened the case back today, hence the "discovery". Well, live and learn! :( Thanks folks.

6. daniel_goncalves Mar 3, 2014

Hi all,
    I have the same question. My grandfather gave to me a very old omega de ville from 1962 approximatively. He said me that he had brought the watch in a jewelery in Paris.
    On the caseback it is writen stainless steel water resistant japan movt. that's really strange. if it is a fake one, it's a fake from 1960s... The quality seems to be really good... the watch is really classic with no date but have one diamonds on all hours marks. maybe they are also fake...The watch works perfectly during 30 years...
    My grandfather usually bought high quality sings so he would not buy a fake one...
    Sorry for my poor english. I will try to go to a jawalery and open the watch that doesn't seem to work actually.

7. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 3, 2014

Sorry to say the watch is a fake.
    Fakes from the 60's and 70' are very common.

Foo2rama likes this.
  8. daniel_goncalves Mar 3, 2014

Ok i was thinking there are counterfeit watches now as a vintage watch but my grandfather bought this watch in 1962... I wanted to restore it but if this is a counterfeit one, i'm sure... It's really strange...

9. SpikiSpikester @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 3, 2014

Omega watches were being faked in 1962 :(

10. daniel_goncalves Mar 3, 2014

photo 1.JPG
    If it is a fake, it is more beautiful than real ones... :)

11. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Mar 3, 2014

This is why people have plastic surgery.

Doesn't make it real, though. :(
    gatorcpa

Braindrain likes this.
  12. daniel_goncalves Mar 3, 2014

So i have one of the first replica watch lol... Maybe just the case back have been changed so i will go to a jewelry to open the watch...
    I can't believe that is a fake due to the quality or fake watches can be real good watches...

photo 2.JPG
  13. daniel_goncalves Mar 3, 2014

I called my grand father and he bought this watch in Compiegne near paris and it is a self wedding or automatic watch

14. daniel_goncalves Mar 3, 2014

So i discovering that it is really difficult to trust in a seller even if it is a jewelry. If they were able to do a so nice counterfeit watch what can they do now...

15. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 3, 2014

Much better, but as always, it is all matter of knowing what you are looking at, and knowing what to look for.

16. daniel_goncalves Mar 3, 2014

do all of you work at omega ? Are you sure that the watch is totally a fake ?

17. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Mar 3, 2014

This one is easy -omega never produced watchesin Japan. Thisis like a bottleof Dom Perignon champagne saying "produced in North Korea" - it just can't be right.

lejaune likes this.
  18. daniel_goncalves Mar 3, 2014

no i mean, maybe the case back has been changed. I would like to known for exemple if the a dial like this one can be true one. Is it possible that some parts of this watch are from omega ?

19. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 3, 2014

NO , it is 100% fake. If you wish to open the back and take a picture of the movement and the inside of the back, we would be happy to comment on that as well for your peace of mind

20. GoDuke1 Mar 3, 2014