Forums Latest Members
  1. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 20, 2012

50shades.jpg
    Omega Watches in Fifty Shades Of Grey

Something we've seen pop up all over the internet are two questions regarding Omega and the book, "Fifty Shades of Grey" by E.L. James. Two Omega watches are mentioned in the book trilogy, firstly
    Christian Grey himself wears an Omega with three subdials, clearly a chronograph of some sort and later, Anastasia "Ana" Grey

Firstly, regarding the Omega watch worn by Christan Grey and mentioned in book two, "Fifty Shades Darker":

The following excerpt from the book makes reference to the watch
    Now an Omega with three small subdials, is not particularly specific, but what is notable is the lack of a date being mentioned, and the lack of any further complications, which would tend to indicate that the watch is a simple three register chronograph without date.

We know that Christian Grey is commonly wearing a suit and dress shirt with long cuffs, so we can be relatively certain that the watch is thin, with a low profile, and enough subtlety to work in the business world on the wrist of a successful and relatively young man.

We also know that Christian Grey is characterized as being a car enthusiast, owning among others, an Audi SUV (likely an Audi Q7 based on the description) and his favorite car is an Audi R8 Spider, a high performance, mid engined sports car, mentioned here:

So we know Christian loves his sports cars, and is a car enthusiast, but rather than opting for a Ferrari, Lamborghini, or MacLaren, he chooses the Audi R8, the most reliable, well made, and durable of mid engined supercars on the market.

Given this taste, his personality, the description in the book, and his passion for driving and mechanical art, the only possible watch that makes sense for Christian Grey is:

The Omega Speedmaster Professional, Reference 3570.50.00
    http://www.omegawatches.com/gents/speedmaster/professional-moonwatch
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omega_Speedmaster
    6_wrist_big.JPG

Secondly, for Ana's watch, the book claims that she received a platinum Omega watch on her honeymoon with an engraving on the back of it, which is mentioned the following passage of the third book, "Fifty Shades Freed":

Now the unfortunate fact is that at present Omega does NOT make any solid platinum ladies wristwatches, and while they have many decades ago produced ladies watches in platinum, those watches are far too small to carry an inscription anywhere near that size.

So the only possibility for a ladies watch in platinum is something along the lines of this vintage piece:

exqusisite-platinum-and-diamonds-ladies-omega-cocktail-watch-c1955-130052799164117-f.jpg

However the likelihood is almost nil, of this being the case, as it dates to 1955 and is far too small to inscribe.

A more plausible situation would be Christian gifting her a mens model that has a unisex style, however the Platinum models in Omega's range all have transparent sapphire displaybacks, which cannot be engraved, meaning quite simply, Ana's watch is NOT platinum.

The most likely case would be a Constellation in Stainless Steel or White Gold, with a solid caseback rather than a transparent displayback (such that it can be engraved). The oversight in the metal type could have been a mistaken assumption by Ana, given how beautiful the watch looks in steel, and the finishing with diamonds and mother of pearl, it also seems more appropriate to Christian Grey's sensibilities, that he would give Ana a very high quality, but highly durable Stainless Steel watch.

The following would be a close approximation of what Ana's watch SHOULD be:

http://www.omegawatches.com/ladies/constellation/quartz-35-mm/12318356052001
    conn12318356052001-20.png

I hope that helps anyone that was curious, and to any ladies reading this, if you want your man to be more like Christian Grey, buy him an Omega Speedmaster Professional!

2. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 20, 2012

Since getting picked up by some of the Fifty Shades of Grey fan communities and retweeted, we've had over 750 hits on this in 4 hours, making this the most popular thread we've ever had, really shows how much of a cultural phenomena the books are!

PatrickJ likes this.
  3. Littleroger Jul 21, 2012

Interesting stuff. What's the betting some people buy a Speedy cos of this write-up? We'll probably never know but I'd be willing to put money on it. After all, James Bond has sold a lot of Rolexes and NATO straps....

PatrickJ likes this.
  4. SpikiSpikester @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 21, 2012

...and does it mean that men wearing Speedmasters should expect to suddenly receive more female attention :confused:

5. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 21, 2012

Yes, I believe in fact that it does. :coffee:

6. SpikiSpikester @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 21, 2012

Unfortunately, a quick straw poll (of my wife) has concluded that wearing a Speedy does NOT make me more attractive to the opposite sex... but that she will be buying a copy of the book :rolleyes:

7. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 21, 2012

Your wife merely doesn't want you to be more attractive, lest other females try to lead you astray, think about it, it makes sense.

8. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 21, 2012

Well incidentally there's a movie planned for this book series with a few leading men aiming at the title role of Christian Grey, personally I think the Swedish actor Alexander Skarsgård from True Blood would be the perfect choice, with that Swedish cold-ness and a tremendous ability to portray a seasoned pervert on the screen, and if they're true to the books, he'll be driving an Audi R8 Spyder, and if we're right here, hopefully the costume department will be savvy enough to have Christian Grey rocking a Speedmaster Pro in the film portrayal.

I'm sure Kommis will agree with the casting of a Speedmaster wearing Swede in a German sports car as the protagonist lol

9. Littleroger Aug 24, 2012

Having just purchased a Kindle, Amazon kindly (!) informed me that this book has sold over 31 million copies :0
    Has anyone read it? Or is outing yourself not a good idea ;) Sounds like a lady's book to me....

10. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 24, 2012

Haven't read it lol but my mother is reading it

11. Steve Aug 24, 2012

You better give her the mattress back !!..:p

12. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 10, 2012

Just reading about another woman buying her husband a Speedmaster Pro due to Christian Grey owning one, ladies, if you love your man, buy him a Speedy Pro to prove it!

watchme likes this.
  13. ulackfocus Sep 10, 2012

I'll take a store credit, then go buy a 38.5 mm Aqua Terra caliber 8500. ;)

PatrickJ likes this.
  14. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 10, 2012

Don't make me get Patrick back here... Speedmasters are awesome

15. ulackfocus Sep 10, 2012

But that's like wearing the wrong size suit - it just doesn't fit me. Never liked the way they sit on my wrist, but everyone else should have as many as they can afford.

16. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 10, 2012

What about your Breitling Cock-thrust, isn't it 42mm?

17. Trev The Architect Staff Member Sep 10, 2012

My vote goes to the 8500, too :D
    New and shiny... mmmmm.

18. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 10, 2012

Yea but you're Canadian

Ok, the 8500 is pretty badass, the liquid metal PO 8500 is my pick over a Sub-C ATM, still, love my speedy to bits!

19. ulackfocus Sep 10, 2012

No, my cock is smaller. :eek::p:p:p It's 39 mm.

I'm an honorary Canadian according to Donut.

20. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 10, 2012

Is it really? I didn't know Breitling made small watches, you sort of know them for their big 42+ chronos more, it certainly looks bigger in its photos, maybe the bezel just makes it appear that way