Forums Latest Members
  1. AndreFS Jul 14, 2014

Hi

It's my first thread here in this forum. I've found someone selling an OMEGA BUMPER AUTOMATIC and I'd like your opinion about how much it is worth so I have a clue of how much I should pay for it. I'll post some pictures.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thanks

2. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Jul 14, 2014

Photos of the inside and outside of the case back would be helpful.

The case composition makes a big difference in value.

3. John R Smith Jul 15, 2014

Historically, this is a very significant watch for Omega. The serial number dates the movement to 1943, and it is a cal 330 (or 30.10 RA PC AM 17p) Omega's very first automatic movement. However, that in itself does not make the watch valuable, just interesting. The dial looks to be original (?), with the correct style of numbers for the period. The numbers look as if they have been lumed, when they seem usually to be mirror-style. The crown has been replaced and is incorrect. But the big factor in assessing the value, as Norm says, is whether the case is solid gold or just plated (gold-filled).

4. AndreFS Jul 15, 2014

Thanks for replying. Those are more photos that were in the add:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hope this helps. I'm really interested on the watch but I'd like to know if the price they are asking is the right one for this watch,

5. AndreFS Jul 15, 2014

Thanks for replying. I already posted more photos in Norm's reply.

6. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Jul 15, 2014

It's an interesting watch and the value is in the original black dial. Plating is worn some in the lugs which is a big negative for me. Other issues are the crown and subseconds hand being later replacement and the absence of lume in the hour and minute hands. But even with these issues it should be a ~$500-600 watch primarily because of the dial.

Here is one I have in stainless steel in better shape with the correct parts:

[​IMG]

cristos71 likes this.
  7. John R Smith Jul 15, 2014

Mike, of course, has a superb example ;) Anyhow, he is absolutely right and the sub-seconds hand is also incorrect, which I did not spot. As we can now see, this is in fact a ref 2374 which is the classic original Omega automatic from the 1943 collection. And the OP is also gold-plate, which makes it less desirable (steel would be more collectible). Another dial variation has the same style of figures, but no lume and leaf hands -

Omega 2374.jpg

You will also notice that this reference has the patent back, which is two piece and fastens with an outer ring similar to a dial bezel.

8. JackDaniels83 Nov 26, 2018

Does anyone have a clue which Omega bumper movements where stamped with the old and new designation over production time? For example I have read that the 28.10 RA PC was never stamped 340 although it was produced up to 1958.