Forums Latest Members

Omega bracelet rebuilding, not for the faint hearted

1. Tom Dick and Harry Oct 24, 2014

Morning all

Wanted to share how to rebuild an Omega bracelet from the 1970’s, the same process applies to Megaquartz, Megasonic, Speedmaster 125, Chronoquartz and a number of other bracelets.

For those of you who (like me) collect these watches, there is nothing worse than a stretch bracelet, originally they would have been tighter than a submarine door but over time many (if not all) have picked up stretched interlinks.

[​IMG]

These types of bracelet are extremely well made and robust, solid SS links held together by double spring bars, which interconnect each link. Over time the interlinks stretch and give the BCT a baggy feel.

So, down to the task in hand, you will need:

1)1 X large wallet, the interlinks are £10 each and you can end up using 10+
    2)1 X a huge amount of patience and pain tolerance (more to follow on that)
    3)1 X a free evening
    4) 1 X case knife/ large flat head jewelers screwdriver
    5)1 X spikey implement
    6)1 X small flat head jewelers screwdriver

Step 1

Remove the bracelet and flip it over to expose the rear

[​IMG]

Ease the large flat head jewelers screwdriver or the case knife between the links and turn to stretch out further

[​IMG]

slowly repeat this process (careful not to bruise the metal) until there is a good gap between the two links and the interlinks is well exposed.

[​IMG]

Step 2

Ease the spikey implement (I use a jewelers punch) down the center of the interlink to spread it

[​IMG]

This is where it can get painful, the first time I tried this I put the tool through my left hand and still have the scar, even tonight I slipped and spiked my thumb, which bled for about ten minutes!

Step 3

[​IMG]

Once completed on all interlinks take the small jewelers screwdriver and just like removing a spring bar east it between the interlink and the link and remove the old double spring bars.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Step 4

Lay of the bracelet (I also take together) to ensure you don’t rebuild in the wrong order (believe me it is easier to do than you think)

[​IMG]

Step 5

Fit the interlinks together to form the complete bracelet

Step 6 wear and enjoy

Completed bracelet pic to follow later today, for those considering this then I suggested doing it sooner rather than later, 18 months ago these interlinks were £1.75 each, now £10! Also with swatches new policy of preventing third parties like cousins from selling Swatch and Omega spares the window to do this is growing smaller by the day!

Cheers Tom

Ken G, Lou P, justintime and 5 others like this.
  2. Pahawi Oct 24, 2014

Great work - love threads like this :thumbsup:

Thanks for sharing.

3. mac_omega Oct 24, 2014

merken

4. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 24, 2014

I'm guessing there's a German meaning for that that's different from the Australian meaning :coffee:

5. mac_omega Oct 24, 2014

In German it means "save" in your brain, remember... it is just a marker for me to find this thread again if needed :)

SpikiSpikester and watchme like this.
  6. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 24, 2014

Ah, I actually misread it as "Merkin" which I guess is sort of like a wig...

7. ChrisN Oct 24, 2014

Many thanks for taking the time to explain this, very interesting.

Chris.

8. Tom Dick and Harry Oct 24, 2014

Well Chaps

Here is the completed item

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

sleepyastronaut, Ken G, Lou P and 2 others like this.
  9. roach7 Oct 24, 2014

Great job, I love taking things apart but there's no guarantee I can put it back

10. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Oct 24, 2014

Nicely done, and looks great! Kudos to you on the skills. I don't have them (or the patience) for such projects.

I'll continue to keep various craftsmen on the payroll.:p

bigdubnick likes this.
  11. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Oct 24, 2014

Nice work Tom and thank you for sharing it with us.

This really solves a problem I have with a 1162 that I have. It is one of those constantly tapering bracelets that have two links the same size, immediately before the end pieces. I have removed all of the removable links, but even eith the clasp on its tightest, the bracelet is still too loose.

Problem now solved, I'll remove one of the last links on either side and play around with the removable links and clasp. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

12. Mark020 not the sharpest pencil in the ΩF drawer Oct 24, 2014

Thanks for posting. Very handy to know!!