Forums Latest Members
  1. M'Bob Apr 21, 2014

While I like that Omega has introduced some Basel 2014 offerings that hark back to yesteryear in terms of style, there is something about the trend of using non-ferrous parts that seems to bug me. Yes, I understand that these are technological advances, and have some great properties, but it doesn't offset the traditionalist in me that likes the innards of a watch to be metal, jewels, and oil.

Retrogrouchy M'Bob

2. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job Apr 21, 2014

Virginia! There's no screws in my balance wheel!!
    Durn technology! ;)

3. speedbird Apr 21, 2014

I'm with you there. Give it ten years and the whole movement will be carbon fiber !

4. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Apr 22, 2014

I'm waiting for the 3D printable movement - rather than go to the shop to buy your watch, you buy and download the 3D model, print the parts and put it together yourself.

5. ulackfocus Apr 22, 2014

A plastic Swatch….. seems like they've done that before except for the 'some assembly required' part.

6. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 22, 2014

The thing with this is magnetism is a bigger problem than ever, just the average iPad case has strong magnets in it to hold it onto the device. The ability to protect them from daily life while still having a displayback is a pretty cool feature in that respect.

shane0mack likes this.
  7. M'Bob Apr 22, 2014

Further, it occurs to me that performance doesn't necessarily equal reliability. Like an old pocket watch from the 1900's, will these parts stand up to decades of use, temperature changes, and other insults without needing constant service?

8. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 22, 2014

They're quite a different thing though, pocket watches never face the level of abuse wristwatches do, they're protected, and on the inside of clothes. Also its been said quite a few times that those old pocket watches will work even when shagged out due to having big powerful mainsprings, size works to their advantage.

citizenrich likes this.
  9. ulackfocus Apr 22, 2014

That's the only thing that needs to be proven - and only time will tell. I hve no issue with different materials being used, especially ones that make lubrication less necessary. I do have an issue with broken or defective parts.

citizenrich likes this.
  10. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Apr 22, 2014

The other issue is price - watch companies manage to translate a 5% cost of production increase into a 25% price increase. In order to justify this, the marketing hype ends up drowning out the real world benefits of these technology changes.

citizenrich, gatorcpa and watchme like this.
  11. Northernman Lemaniac Apr 22, 2014

Imagine what that could do to spare part access for our beloved vintage pieces?
    New balance wheel for your cal 321 Sir?: Just Press "CTRL-P" and wait for a few seconds.... ::popcorn::

shane0mack likes this.
  12. John R Smith Apr 22, 2014

Well, since nobody else has I'm going to be Mr Picky and just gently point out that "non-ferrous" does not mean non-metallic, but simply not made of iron or steel. A very large part of your average 1950s Omega is non-ferrous, because it is made of brass or other copper alloys, and sometimes a gold case, which is also non-ferrous but very metallic ;)

Trev, citizenrich and Spacefruit like this.
  13. ulackfocus Apr 22, 2014

I'll add that there's nothing wrong with non-metallic parts either. Ceramic bearings could correct all the rotors scraping case backs because steel bearings wore out.

14. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Apr 22, 2014

I would also ask, why do these refinements in watches end up with huge price increases while the refinements that cars and their engines constantly have don't? I bet there are more engineering refinements say over the past 10 years in car engines than there have been in watches and I am also thinking the price increases of mechanical watches have outstripped the price increases in cars probably by a considerable margin.

citizenrich and Barking mad like this.
  15. ulackfocus Apr 22, 2014

Because the Swiss are better at marketing.

Hey, they have the world fooled into believing stainless steel is a precious metal.

citizenrich likes this.
  16. Barking mad Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Apr 22, 2014

shhh don't let IKEA HERE YOU:D

17. M'Bob Apr 22, 2014

It's like the cal. 861: love it, runs great, reliable...but the little plastic part in the movement irks me.

18. M'Bob Apr 22, 2014

And talk about irksome: what about those drivers that just sit in the left lane on the highway and block up a whole line of traffic? Is the concept of slower traffic moving to the right too complicated. But I digress...

19. ulackfocus Apr 22, 2014

People are getting dumber or less courteous….. or both. Can't they read the "KEEP LEFT EXCEPT TO PASS" signs every couple miles? I see it all the time. Pennsylvania drivers who won't budge from the left lane on the A.C. Expressway, NY drivers on the NJ Turnpike, and everyone in Delaware and Maryland. :mad:

You just hijacked your own thread. :thumbsup:

20. Northernman Lemaniac Apr 22, 2014

Would love some sort of missile mounted behind my front license plate. After exterminating a few violators of that rule of conduct I am sure others would keep a better eye in the rear view mirror.::blowup::
    Strangely my smallest car (Lotus) has the best impact on the bastards (they tend to make room faster for that then my other cars) so it can not be anything wrong with their eyesight!

citizenrich likes this.