Forums Latest Members

Nomos Tangete on Nato straps - just right or a bit too much?

1. George.A Oct 21, 2014

Hi guys!
    In the last couple of days I found myself in the following situation: I had one lovely Nomos Tangete 35mm watch that may not be the best companion for a casual outfit (jeans and sneakers) and a whole bunch of Nato straps that go very well with jeans and sneakers (besides other things). So, since I'm really comfortable with jeans and sneakers (who isn't :D) but I also want to wear my Nomos, I just had to give it a try. I started out small and paired the Nomos with something light, a strap 50% leather and 50% fabric:

[​IMG]

The first impression was a rather positive one, so I continued and switched to 100% fabric/ nylon:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

From here on things moved on their own:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And I may not stop here ;) . However, some feedback is welcomed: do you think I'm on the right track or wearing a Nomos on a Nato strap is a bit too much?

citizenrich and jayabharath like this.
  2. RawArcher Measures thread drift on the Richter Scale Oct 21, 2014

Looks awesome to me! Am new to watches but know something about style (IMO)!

3. M.D. Oct 21, 2014

I like the first one quite a bit. Nice mix of leather and fabric.

4. ulackfocus Oct 21, 2014

Why can't you wear that watch on a leather or gator strap with jeans & sneakers? It's casual as it is.

5. George.A Oct 21, 2014

I may wear it also with leather and jeans, but now I'm a bit caught by this bug and it seems nice.

6. NT931 Oct 22, 2014

I like the first one, but I'm with Dennis on this ... doesn't quite seem to go with NATO straps

7. George.A Oct 22, 2014

When I bought the first strap, I did not have the Nomos, nor did I know I would buy it. If I had known I was getting a Nomos in the near future, I would have also bought one with brown leather and blue fabric, it may work even better with it.

8. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Oct 22, 2014

White faced watch in vintage style is dress = leather or first only.

For me never NATO on dress watches

Take a picture with as ulackfocus advises above and compare with the above shots.

9. George.A Oct 22, 2014

I've ordered some croco straps for it, looking forward to see how they will fit my Nomos.

Until then, another shot with a Nato:
    [​IMG]

jayabharath likes this.
  10. adam78 Adam @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 22, 2014

That's an extremely versatile watch, a beauty, actually, and looks great with all of them.

11. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 22, 2014

I don't know how they're able to do what they do in the price bracket they're in, its almost like you're getting IWC grade watches for low end TAG Heuer money. After watching that video where they show their manufacturing processes I'm even more impressed.

12. George.A Oct 22, 2014

And I didn't even post a photo of the mechanism :))

13. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Oct 22, 2014

Most watches aren't priced based on what it costs to produce them, so for me I see how they can do this - they simply charge less. It really isn't any more complicated than that.

If anything we should be asking why others charge so much - because they can is the reason.

Cheers, Al

timeismoney, citizenrich and LouS like this.
  14. Event horizon faux seller of watches and complete knobhead Oct 22, 2014

Cynical but true

15. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Oct 22, 2014

Can it be cynical if it's the truth? Not sure... ;)

But just to expand on this thought, and for full disclosure, this is not just theory to me. I make my own line of watches, so one thing I had to consider was my price point. As much as it might sound easy to decide where to price a watch, it isn't, or at least it wasn't for me.

You have to look at the competition in the price range you are thinking of, and decide if your product can offer something others don't. I'm sure these large companies have a lot of resources dedicated to this activity, but I am a very busy one man operation, so I had to be fairly quick and efficient about it. I am not having some company in China make the watches for me, and I'm not funding it with various crowd sourcing as it seems everyone is doing these days. These days you don't need to know much of anything that is technical to have a watch company - you don't even need your own money anymore!

But for me it's different and I ran into a few somewhat difficult decisions pricing out the watches I make. Not only did I have to look at what other new watches of similar design and price range were doing, but I also compete against the used market - maybe even more so than the new watch market. When your price approaches what a brand name watch used is, then people's value proposition changes. All I can say is that I'm glad the price of an SMP on the used market isn't what it once was, because I honestly saw that as pretty direct competition to my watches in terms of price. I felt downward pressure on the watches because of things like the ease of getting a used SMP for close to what I charge.

But on the flip side, some people won't take you seriously if your product is priced too low. If it's not expensive, it must not be any good, right?

So finding a balance can be difficult. For me it's a fairly small portion of my business, so it ended up not being a huge deal either way. With the difficulty of getting movements increasing every year, I might not be in the new watch business for the long term anyway.

Just some thoughts from someone who has had to make the pricing decisions.

Cheers, Al

Event horizon likes this.
  16. jayabharath Oct 22, 2014

Thanks for sharing. I've always wondered how the Tangente might look on a NATO and its certainly not bad if you choose the right one.

17. George.A Oct 28, 2014

and a picture from my better half with a new strap IMG_20141027_174603.jpg

18. citizenrich Metal Mixer! Oct 28, 2014

I would consider the first strap you posted to be a top contender vs. any other strap for any occasion. They go perfectly together.

the last one you posted; not so much.

but, in the end, who am I to argue taste?

There is no scaled fish better than Dover Sole.

Smoked Bluefish is far and away the best fish.

19. citizenrich Metal Mixer! Oct 28, 2014

It's interesting to bear witness to the recent crowd funding phenomenon for indy watch makers. I find it remarkable just how mindless really intelligent people can be and more generally, how the human psyche works with respect to confirmation bias and conversely, the very primitive defense mechanism of reaction formation.

Meaning, bog standard designed watches with crappy Chinese movements (yeah, they're pretty crappy) are suddenly "cool" or "hip" because the watches capture the current hipster zeitgeist.

humans are tribal but we also feel a need to be a part of the spirit of the time; the spirit characteristic of an age or generation. Hipsters have a burning desire to lead this charge against the reactionaries. Crowd funding being the method used for capital formation, automatically deems any product tied to it: cool! The watches are really secondary to the concept. It's the age old form vs. function paradox. Suddenly, "made in USA" or, "made in Australia" is morally and economically superior to "made somewhere else" not because of outdated concepts like nationalism (xenophobia); those are irrational and small-minded concepts. But, crowd funding makes everything else, different, er, I mean, better!

It's the start to finish internet leviathan which makes indy watches a must have item. See, it was ostentatious for the old-man to wear some old fashioned Swiss made wristwatch when a simple Casio will do a better job but, a $700 crowd funded Chinese mechanical watch is better. It's just better...it just is!!

Arghhh, my locally sourced artisan blended 6 tea flavors has cooled to room temp as I bang away on my iPhone 6.
    6 is better than 5. It's better!... It just is!!!

20. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Oct 28, 2014

Rich, you're on a roll. :D

I didn't understand a word, but it's five o'clock in the morning in NYC and it's evening / dinner time here.

I've just Fishineshed (pun) a dinner of fresh caught Port Philip snapper fish cakes with steamed brussels sprouts and carrot chunks accompanied by a glass of chilled Bethany chardonay.

Yum

I like the NOMOS and will try to interpret your response later.

Cheers

Jim

citizenrich likes this.