Forums Latest Members
  1. Wilddyan Jun 4, 2014

Hi guys

I have a steel tri-compax the dial is original but is a little beaten up- am thinking about doing a redial. Can anyone recommend where I can find a dial similar to these?

2. Wilddyan Jun 4, 2014

Sorry here are the pictures- any help would be appreciated

$(KGrHqJHJBQFI+mJ0obeBSSDpSvc+g~~60_35.JPG 003.jpg static.squarespace.jpg
  3. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jun 4, 2014

Those appear to be different watches, which one is the one you're thinking of redialing?

4. Wilddyan Jun 4, 2014

Sorry none of these are my watches- I just like these kind of dials with numbers in this ilk, and I just wondered if anyone knew where i could get a dial like this?

Thanks

5. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jun 4, 2014

Can you post a pic of yours?

6. Wilddyan Jun 4, 2014

My watch...

photo 2-4.JPG

7. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Jun 4, 2014

well, whatever you do, don't refinish that dial - you'll ruin it. If you are looking for a replacement dial, you will have to trawl the internet like everyone else. There is no one source for these that I know of. You do have some chance of finding one, as there are homeless dials around after the gold case has been melted. Be very careful to measure well, as these come in a variety of sizes, and examine the replacements very very carefully - nearly every dial you find that is better than what you have is going to be a redial.

If it were mine, I would live with it as is.

lenny, Diabolik, gatorcpa and 3 others like this.
  8. Wilddyan Jun 4, 2014

Thanks for your response Lou, I do like this dial- but do love the other dial. Will have a look around and if not will live with this dial. Thanks

9. timeismoney Jun 4, 2014

LouS's are word of wisdom, I would leave it alone if I were you. Besides, I think the dial looks decent for its age and has its charm. Just my two cents...Best of luck.

Darlinboy likes this.
  10. valjoux72 Jun 5, 2014

I just posted some pictures of my "new" old Tri-compax here...
    I guess it is in a similar condition than yours. I don´t wear it often, but the orginal look on the wrist is nice for me.Just like it is "normal" for a vintage timepiece at the age of 70+. Both watches (original or refinished) will be very attractive for collectors, but I´m quiet sure in some years collectors will prefer original watches even more. But that´s of course my personal opinion.
    Have fun with the watch, it really is one of the most beautiful watches to own.;)

11. Wilddyan Jun 5, 2014

Thanks for your feed back Val & timeismoney. You're all right- will leave it and appreciate the heritage that comes with a dial like this. Even though mentioned redialing, does seem to be the more wrist time I give it the more I like it.

Just ordered a black version of the strap is currently on, think will make pop a little more too.

Thanks

12. Wilddyan Jun 5, 2014

Sorry also meant to say Val, loved yours, dial is amazing. Really great find!

13. rolokr Jun 5, 2014

Original dial is almost always better than a redial, unless the original dial is totally worn and unable to identify the markers and original paint !
    I have a few extra spare UG Tri-compax dials for back ups, but Lou is right you need to troll the internet the find them!

14. Interstatetime Jun 8, 2014

The only trouble with this dial is that non-watch people who see the watch on your wrist will think it is just a beat up old watch. Non-watch people won't look at it and think you are a man of wealth and taste. This is a problem best overcome by by knowing in your own mind that you ARE a man of wealth and taste and not giving a damn about the rest of them. It is a problem worst over come by re-doing the dial or replacing the dial with something not completely appropriate. If and when people make this second choice real watch people look at the watch think...well...what they think probably doesn't matter either.

JohnCote

lenny and Stewart H like this.
  15. Wilddyan Jun 8, 2014

Thanks John- really great post! Have decided to leave as is.

16. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Jun 8, 2014

John has got it cock on. It may be a British thing but wanting to know what someone is worth is just vulgar. The only person who needs to know is YOU. Personally speaking, I'm just as happy wearing a Citizen as I am a 1950s Vacheron with gorgeous patina. I really couldn't give a sh1t what anyone else thinks - maybe that's why I'm an "Honorary NJ Resident".

17. Wilddyan Jun 8, 2014

Sorry but not sure about that 'British' comment- I am British and have an American girlfriend- we travel there many times a year and as Dad used to work for AA as a kid had lots of US holidays and in terms of materialistic and obsessed with worth, no one tops the US.

I am not no way insinuating this is how you view things- but just thought the comment was a little ironic.

And I am not looking at worth, am looking at how I aesthetically want the watch to look.

18. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Jun 8, 2014

I'm British.

19. Interstatetime Jun 8, 2014

Stewart....Stewart....I can believe everything else but unless it were a Citizen Bullhead Panda...and even then I just can't believe you would be just as happy. I can believe you wouldn't give a $#!T but you would be happier with the VC!

20. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Jun 8, 2014

My go-to beater is a 2000 Eco-Drive divers watch that I used to use for diving.