Forums Latest Members
  1. Dedalus Sep 26, 2014

I understand the need for forums such as OF to periodically update/refine security measures in order to safeguard members against fraudsters, and I applaud the moves even though they're detrimental to my FS post, but those of us with <200 replies cannot currently contribute to the sticky threads posted at the top of each of the marketplace forums. Could the MODS possibly post a sticky in the open discussion area so we can all contribute to the ongoing discussion?

:thumbsup:

2. Trev The Architect Staff Member Sep 26, 2014

There's some more details in my post about this here:
    http://omegaforums.net/threads/plea...res-for-the-sales-sections.16995/#post-184139

The quick explanation is that we needed a quick way to slow down the group of scammers who are currently targeting ΩF members. The post count requirements are a rather blunt solution and far from being ideal, or even completely effective. The aim was to get something in place quickly while we figure out a more lasting solution to these issues. Our growth has also made us a more lucrative target.

We'll need to see if the sticky threads can be specifically excluded from this too. My apologies for the inconvenience.

If you'd like to be able to post in the FS sections and have references from other forums, please get in touch with any moderator (or myself) and we can sort everything out for you. :)

dragoman, yande, UncleBuck and 2 others like this.
  3. Dedalus Sep 26, 2014

Thanks, Trev. No great inconvenience, it was just in case I had a bright idea.
    I'm enjoying this place, and learning too much, to just take my ball and go home like some others seem to have done. :whistling:

ulackfocus and Trev like this.
  4. Difeer Sep 26, 2014

Actually I think we can all see that the mods are quite flexible regarding the post count requirement, so active members in the forum need not be too concerned about it.

Good job trying to keep this forum safe guys. And sorry to those who got scammed. I feel your pain.

5. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Sep 28, 2014

I must admit I was not too happy with the 200 post count to sell a watch. I just listed a bunch of watches to sell on WUS.

I do think weeding out the scammers will make this a much better and safer forum. It will also allow those that contribute and post to more easily sell their watches, I think. I certainly would have no hesitation buying from a a member that has 200+ posts.

Maybe also consider length of membership. I think I have been here 2+ years, but not even close to 200 posts. Maybe also consider time period one has been a member. Say 2.5 years and 100 posts....

6. DLT222 Double D @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 28, 2014

We look at all angles of it.

Length of time here, feedback, known to other members etc

7. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Sep 28, 2014

I fully support these new measures, BTW. You all do an outstanding job.

Spy likes this.
  8. speedbird Sep 28, 2014

I fully support these measures as well. A 200 post count isn't the end of the world And quite frankly is lenient compared to other forums. Some require a seller to support the forum financially for the privilege to sell. And a privilege it is. This isn't a democracy by any means and the owners can do as they like. I, for one, am glad they allow us to buy and sell here because I know what sort of headaches it causes. Having references and links to those references is fine by me. I'll gladly supply.

If folks get upset and don't want to participate, that's fine because anyone who has been in this hobby for a little while realizes patience is key to enjoyment

9. bish789 Sep 28, 2014

One other thing to mention is that as a newbie like myself, we are more prone to scammers than the longstanding members of the forum because of our knowledge base. Personally, unless I see a member selling here who has impeccable feedback, and also contributes to the forum, I would b reticent to send them money. This applies in the great part to members outside my own country who are selling. Not being Homophobic, but long distance sales can be a nightmare usually to start with, so I generally prefer ftf transactions so I can see the goods and take them away with me. If I haven't done my research (now via this great website) then Caveat Emptor prevails. I've already decided on those who I would buy from on here via postage courier etc., so if they have something I want, then no problem.

10. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Sep 29, 2014

Think its great that action was taken straight away.

I'm on a fishing forum that has different levels that work well

10 posts = able to use PM (private message) and classified ( stops spam and people selling stuff only without using forum )
    50 posts = in the boys club where most people post pictures with locations ( stops no posters finding out were people are catching fish)
    and
    800 posts = Seadogs - if you want to post a post where you dont want everyone to know where or what lure ( somewhere to post that special
    lure thats catching all the fish that 95% of the forum and the no posters wont see,but want to get to 800 posts to see what the 800 post guys are talking about)

yande likes this.
  11. ulackfocus Sep 29, 2014

Boy, this thread took off on a tangent, didn't it? We hijack better than anyone!

So you've noticed some of the histrionics, eh? :rolleyes: Some people are just so touchy! :p

12. bish789 Sep 29, 2014

I'd generally buy from anyone, including overseas and those with different persuasions of a sexual nature, however , I do have an inbuilt hatred of scammers, so anyone who knows the term for this ( there must be someone who knows it on here) please let us all know. On another note, it isn't raining here this morning.

13. dragoman Sep 30, 2014

I think we can safely assume that we all are scammerphobes.

14. bish789 Sep 30, 2014

Hi Dragoman, have checked and their does'nt seem to be a label for fear of scammers, so I vote Scammerphobia, and Scammerphobe are legitimate titles and should be adopted on this site.