Forums Latest Members
  1. BaronRed Jul 27, 2014

First, please forgive me if i transgress any forum rules. I didn't see specific guidelines for posting, so if i transgress....sorry!

I am new to collecting vintage Omega, but have been collecting other vintage pieces for a number of years. I really want to build a small collection of vintage Omega and have identified the first two watches that i want to hunt. However, as with most vintage, i suspect that there are a number of snake-pits that I can fall through and so wanted to consult with the experts and enthusiasts on this forum for some advice. It would be really appreciated.

The top target is a 2914-1 or 2914-2, though having said that I would also not rule out a later generation. However, I do so like the early generations.

The second target is the 2913 with lollipop hand. Just fabulous.

My problem, however, is knowing how to go about the hunt. It seems to me that very few if any dealers are holding either of these watches. So, my first question is how to find one!! How to go about letting potential sellers know etc. The second issue is concerning originality. Relume, refinishing and non-original hands rule a watch out from my perspective. However, not being an expert, who would i go about verifying such detail?

Any advice would be warmly received.

Regards,

B

2. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Jul 27, 2014

Save us some work and show us some pictures.

citizenrich and Spacefruit like this.
  3. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Jul 27, 2014

Hi. I have sent a message to someone who might be able to help you with one of them. Obviously, the next move is up to them.

citizenrich likes this.
  4. BaronRed Jul 28, 2014

I can't show pictures for the reasons in my first post...i need to find the watches and advice on where to look is really what i am needing.....

5. BaronRed Jul 28, 2014

Many thanks

6. marturx Jul 28, 2014

Hi and welcome to the forum!

You're really aiming high to be new to vintage Omega. As you might know, those two you are searching for,are two of the most hardest to get, if you want them in good shape, original and untouched.

How come you're starting off from this level? Tell us a little about your current collection!

7. BaronRed Jul 28, 2014

Predominantly I am a vintage Rolex collector, though have a few vintage Patek and JLC too. I started collecting about 10 years ago, in earnest, but had initially started collecting about 20 years ago ... i still have my first JLC (which was from my father) and also my first Rolex (a GMT). I focus on dive watches in Rolex and Calatravas in Patek. My interest in the 2914 and 2913 is because that style of watch is very much in keeping with the rest of my collection. I am not looking to build a big or broad collection in Omega, but rather to focus on the 2 or 3 watches that really appeal to me. The 2914 fits a theme i am pursuing on amagnetic watches and remains one of the key amagnetics that i miss. The 2913 is just a joy to behold and forms a great partnership with the 2914.

I hope that explains some of my rationale.

8. marturx Jul 28, 2014

Yeah, it pretty much says it all. I guessed that it was an experienced collector hiding behind your first post.

As for you search, place a WTB ad in the WTB-section.

When you find something that appeals to you, here or elsewhere, you can always come back here for advice. There are several knowledgeable members here that I'm sure of will help if you ask.

9. BaronRed Jul 28, 2014

With vintage, a little knowledge is a dangerous thing....with Omega vintage...I have a "little" knowledge, so definitely appreciate having my hand held. If i wanted a specific vintage Rolex, finding one at a dealer is usually possible within a reasonable time-frame. With a 2914-1, I have not seen one at a dealer for a very long time....so hence my request.... where to go? I will look at the WTB here. Thanks