Forums Latest Members

New Arrival: Longines Wittnauer Weems Second Setting Watch

1. ghwatch Aug 3, 2014

I have been very lucky these past several months when it comes to rare pre-WWII vintage military watches. Some of you may recall that a couple months ago I found a Hanhart KM Cal.40 Monopusher Chronograph which I wrote about here: http://omegaforums.net/threads/new-arrival-hanhart-km-wwii-kriegsmarine-cal-40-monopusher.14286/

The Hanhart I thought was a “fluke”, one of those lucky miracles that occur once in a year or two of vintage watch hunting… however miracles happen more often than we think:

[​IMG]

A pre-WWII Longines-Wittnauer Weems Second Setting watch.

I found this in an obscure antique dealer here in Japan. The owner of the shop must have been 80+ years old, a white-haired gentleman that has been collecting watches for 30+ years. In his long collecting career he has only seen and bought 3 of these Weems’ and this is his last one.

I am not an expert on these early Longines, so for more about this watch please see this fantastic write-up I found: http://thesydneytarts.blogspot.jp/2012/03/rare-longines-wittnauer-second-setting.html

I’ve read that several of these Weems’ were imported by Japanese Imperial Navy personnel in the 40’s and have military markings on the back, but this one is unmarked. The seller told me that he had bought it in Japan many years ago, so perhaps this was intended for civilian use? We will probably never know but it is in fantastic condition so I assume was tucked away in a drawer for most of its life.

The revolving center a beautiful beige color, like an old manuscript. The blue steel breguet hands shine brightly against the white enamel dial...and those breguet numerals! The case is made of silver and is large, approx. 48mm and 15mm thick. The seller thinks this is an earlier version of this watch…the second setting “crown” is more like a small bar and was probably difficult to use with pilot’s gloves on. He thinks the later improved version came with the larger second setting crown for ease of setting.

However the most magical moment of discovering this watch was when the watch was opened. The silver caseback and dustcover (?) have a whitish shine to them that only comes with age. And when he removed the dustcover, I had a “time warp” moment...they definitely don’t make ‘em like they used to!

Both the dustcover and caseback have the serial #5272700 engraved inside them. Does anybody have a serial range to confirm the serial?

There was a poignant moment after we concluded the deal, the old man seemed to be saying goodbye to an old friend; a watch he would probably never see again.

Enjoy.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. LarryG not KennyG, not OG, just LarryG Aug 3, 2014

Congrats; saw it on MWR, but enjoy seeing it again and again. Lovely example of one of Longines' finest.

3. Gavin It's the quiet ones you have to 'watch' out for. Aug 3, 2014

Wow. Look at that condition. :thumbsup:

JohnSteed likes this.
  4. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Aug 3, 2014

Lovey piece, mellow in its aging. Your watch radar has been especially acute lately.

It's interesting that you are finding so many nice pieces in Japan. One doesn't (at least I don't) hear much about the vintage watch scene there. Is it well-developed? Fully-priced? Is it still possible to find nice pieces in out of the way places, or have these generally already been combed through?

5. woodwkr2 Aug 3, 2014

The Japanese are nuts about vintage Longines. Just my personal experience... but the last couple really nice Longines watches that I've sold have all left the states for Japan. I'll add that none of the gentlemen that I've transacted with were interested in using up one minute discussing pricing; they were quite happy paying the full ask. Not sure if that's cultural or if I was underpricing them, but I came away thinking that the Japanese market must be fully priced.

Ben did a nice piece on an original Grand Seiko that he came across in Japan at a vintage watch and Leica shop. Seiko is obviously big there, but the trend that I'm seeing is that Japanese collectors are scooping up smaller sized vintage pieces. While the rest of the world straps pocket watch sized pieces to their wrist, they're hoovering up the 30-35mm watches.

JohnSteed likes this.
  6. LarryG not KennyG, not OG, just LarryG Aug 3, 2014

You're spot on in this wwker; I sold a Longines DH to a fellow in Tokyo recently and he expressed some interesd in a few similarly sized(33mm, what are all too often ignored here) Longines.

7. ghwatch Aug 4, 2014

Lou, most of the watches I've bought or found recently were on trips to Europe (the Hanhart) or imported by local dealers from the US or Europe (my Gallet FO and the Movado I posted). I usually pay full price.

The vintage scene is much much smaller here than the US and Europe with overwhelming concentration on Rolex, Patek, IWC and to a lesser extent Seiko. Bubblebacks are especially popular and as woodwkr2 wrote the smaller pieces. Everything is fully priced and combed through, however condition is usually very good since Japanese collectors pay a strong attention to detail and maintain/service regularly. Ever since the Japanese yen weakened dealers are having a very difficult time sourcing.

The Longines is an exception...I'm still waiting to hear back from the Longines Brand Heritage department but I still believe these Weems' were imported prior to WWII.

8. ghwatch Aug 4, 2014

Just received an email from Longines Brand Heritage:

Thank you for your email and interest in Longines watches.

Following your request, I have the pleasure to give you here below the information I found in our records :

The serial number 5’272’700 identifies a silver wristwatch fitted with the Longines
    manually wound mechanical movement, caliber 18.69N.
    It was invoiced to Longines-Wittnauer Watch C°, who were for many years our agent for the USA, on 31.07.1935.

For your information, US Navy officer Philip Van Horn Weems develops the ‘Weems System of Navigation’, a series of navigational devices, based on which he and Longines develop a rotating disc watch, enabling the wearer to synchronize the second hand with a GMT signal, essential for navigation: the Longines Weems Second-Setting Watch. A patent for this timekeeper is filed in 1935.

Hoping this information is convenient to you, I remain at your entire disposal for any additional request you may have.

Best regards,

knozkhi and tinger like this.
  9. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Aug 4, 2014

Cap'n Weems approves:thumbsup:
    Weems arms crossed.gif

Waynepjr likes this.
  10. knozkhi Aug 4, 2014

What a beauty! Glad this went to somebody on OF. I saw this watch posted on Instagram (tokyovintagewatchcollector) and instantly sent an email asking for a quote. Unfortunately it was sold - good to know it's in good hands :)

11. ghwatch Aug 4, 2014

I am @tokyovintagewatchcollector. It was not sold, I am keeping it.

12. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Aug 4, 2014