Forums Latest Members

New Arrival: Hanhart KM WWII Kriegsmarine Cal. 40 Monopusher

1. ghwatch Jun 27, 2014

Posted this on the Military Watch Forum but I thought people here would enjoy too.

On my travels recently I was fortunate enough to acquire a Hanhart "KM" Kriegsmarine Cal. 40 chronograph.

The "KM" logo stands for Kriegsmarine, the German Navy during WWII. Engraved on the case back is military insignia, "M" (for Marine I think), serial# and "Bodenedelstahl". Based on what I have read I believe these KM's were issued to senior officers in the German Navy during the 1940's.

The dial is in fantastic condition, the telemeter a deep red and the KM and Hanhart logos crispy. The red marker on the coin edge bezel is still bright and the patina on the hands has turned a pleasant ocre color. The chrome/brass case could use a clean but is in excellent condition, with very little discoloration/flaking. Per the experts on MWR it is all-original except maybe the domed crystal, which is virtually scratch-free so probably a replacement.

The movement is a Hanhart Cal. 40 manual wind mono pusher chronograph, with Breguet hairspring and 2 metal balance. Its fairly clean but will probably need an overhaul.

Size is roughly 40mm across with 20mm fixed lugs, but feels bigger, probably due to the large crown and pusher, typical of military watches of the era (for ease of use with thick gloves on).

Per the experts on MWR even the oiled brown leather strap is most probably original! It has a time-warp WWII feel and matches perfectly with my Filson's duffel bag :)

I can't put my finger on it but there is something very beautiful and German about this watch...perhaps its the combination of the wonderful red telemeter and the large, rugged and sturdy case.

I'm too scared to wear it but it is a stunner in the metal.

Anyways enough writing, onto the (iPhone) pics...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Best,
    G

citizenrich, MMMD, cristos71 and 7 others like this.
  2. CdnWatchDoc Jun 28, 2014

Wow, that is a stunner! I too love the red telemeter, and the coin edge case. Very nice pick up!!

3. Fritz genuflects before the mighty quartzophobe Jun 29, 2014

must wear!

or else why have it?

Darlinboy and Alpha like this.
  4. Pasbru Jun 29, 2014

WOW, love that! Awesome for sure!!

5. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Jun 29, 2014

That is a terrifically rare Hanhart and the condition is unbelievable. Congratulations on the find. I'm envious! Oh, and DIBS!