Forums Latest Members
  1. Tritium Jan 22, 2015

Hi friends.

Few weeks ago I went to a local AD and asked for a bracelet for my newly built SM300. They checked on the omega intranet that the correct bracelet for my case number (166.0324) was the 1171/633, so they ordered it from Switzerland and it arrived yesterday.

This morning I went to the AD. They showed me the bracelet still sealed on the omega package with ref. 0022ST1171/633 and took my watch to the back room to fit the bracelet on it.

Five minutes later, a young WM came outside and said that there was a problem, and it was impossible to fit the bracelet on the watch, because the end links were a bit bigger than 20mm, and it was necessary to sand the end links to make them fit.

I said no, and asked him to let me have a look. The bracelet looked correct with the reference 1171/633 etched on the clasp, but the end links had no number (no 633 laser etched). I stand a end link alone next to the watch, and could verify that it was bigger than the lugs distance. He offered again to sand the end links, and I said no again.

IMG_4838.JPG

Then another lady came from the back room and said that it was a common problem when trying to fit a modern bracelet on a vintage case. After few minutes discussing that it was not really a vintage case, but a new replacement case from omega, and after checking again on the intranet, she agreed that it should fit, and she didn´t understand why the end links that came in the packaged with the bracelet, were bigger than 20mm. I also told her that I thought that they should have the 633 number etched, and she said that sometimes they didn´t have it, and it was not a problem.

Finally, I said I was not buying the bracelet, and asked them to fit again the leather strap that I had on the watch, said thanks and went home.

When at home I thought that if they tried to fit the links on the watch with no success, then they could have scratched the back of the lugs, so looked the watch under the loupe and there were some marks that I´m completely sure that they were not there before. I´ve been extremely careful when changing the straps on it (three times), and before going to the AD I checked the watch and there was only two little hairs.

So, my questions are:

1 - Is it possible that they made a mistake in the factory and put incorrect pair of end links with the bracelet when sealing it?

2 - Has someone seen modern 633 end links with no number etched on the back?

3 - Should I insist and ask them to order the bracelet again until it comes with the correct end links?

4 - What happens with the new marks on the back of the lugs? Is it acceptable for you? Should I try to ask them for a solution, or just accept it and learn where I don´t have to go again?

Thanks for reading.

Edited Jan 22, 2015
  2. rogart ray it again, Ram. Jan 22, 2015

3. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jan 22, 2015

These have to be fitted to the case - I have done it many times. Not unusual at all and completely normal in my view. Ordering it again won't make any difference.

And yes, they come without numbers on them - again perfectly normal.

Cheers, Al

nonuffinkbloke likes this.
  4. Tritium Jan 22, 2015

Stand corrected

5. Tritium Jan 22, 2015

Sorry Al, I don´t understand what you mean.
    Are you talking about the little marks on the back of the lugs after fitting them to the case?

EDIT: After reading @bigdubnick comment, I assume you were talking about sanding the end links.

Edited Jan 22, 2015
  6. bigdubnick Jan 22, 2015

I recall that my on my SM300 build the end links had to be filed/sanded down in order to fit the case...I wouldn't be concerned about that.

Marks on your lugs are no fun, but if you only see it with a loupe and its on the back then I'd say it ain't no thang. My two cents.

Nick

Tritium likes this.
  7. Tritium Jan 22, 2015

I´d never thought that it was necessary to sand a new end link to fit to a case, but seems that I was wrong.
    My only experience with bracelets is with the 1039 on my pre-moon speedy, and it goes in and out with no problems. What I didn´t thought is that it could have maybe been also sanded when fitted the first time.

Edited Jan 22, 2015
  8. Tritium Jan 22, 2015

Well, I didn´t translate correctly while writting my first post. I wanted to say I examined the watch in detail, and not "under the loupe", in fact I didn´t use a loupe to see them. They´re not terrible, but you know it´s not funny to see the first scratches on a new watch.

9. nlogax Jan 22, 2015

I must've gotten lucky - same setup on mine and the endlinks fitted just fine without sanding etc. Same new 1171/633 on a new Watcho - supplied case, and the end links don't have any etching.

I hope you can enjoy the setup once it's all installed, the bracelet has a lot of rattly old charm!

Etp095 and Tritium like this.
  10. bigdubnick Jan 22, 2015

If it makes you feel any better, I put those same scratches on mine (probably worse) when I took the bracelet off to fit a leather strap. Just glad it's not visible while I'm wearing it.
    [​IMG]

Etp095 and Tritium like this.
  11. nlogax Jan 22, 2015

The first scratches always hurt, after that they're more like ownership badges - I come to almost enjoy them :)

nonuffinkbloke and Tritium like this.
  12. redpcar Jan 22, 2015

This is a good question for Al. I'm a hack at best with my watches. How do you install spring bars without the nagging scratches? Or do we live with it and simply polish them off?

13. bigdubnick Jan 22, 2015

There is a specific spring bar tool to do it. Forget the bergeon model number but it's suited for the job.

Like this...

[​IMG]

Etp095 and nlogax like this.
  14. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Jan 22, 2015

bigdubnick likes this.
  15. redpcar Jan 22, 2015

Thanks! I was spinning my wheels trying to find it on julesborel. Putting it down for a birthday present.

16. TNTwatch Jan 22, 2015

The scratches come from the end links's sharp edges, not from putting on or taking off springbars.

Coincidentally, yesterday I just put the 677 ends on my SM300. They seemed to be too big at first when I trial-fitted them and my initial thought was also to file them down. Turned out just some wiggling at the right position and angle took care of it.

VictorAlpha likes this.
  17. pascs Jan 22, 2015

If you measure the new 633 end links I'm sure you'll find they are larger than 20mm so they will require some sanding down to fit. I'm not sure why Omega supply them like that but I'm guessing its so that they fit old cases which are already worn out a bit.

I have quite a few genuine 633 end links and many of them have slightly different designs

18. Tritium Jan 23, 2015

After yesterday comments, I went back to the AD this morning, told them what we talked here, appologized for my first suspicion, and bought the bracelet.
    They will fit/sand it this afternoon and hopefully I'll have it with me on monday.

g-boac, ketiljo, repoman and 3 others like this.
  19. Josh36912 Jan 23, 2015

Wow the plier version looks so much better than the standard spring bar removal tools!

20. repoman Jan 23, 2015

Great, another cool tool I can't resist ::rant: