Forums Latest Members
  1. Tire-comedon First Globemaster Jul 26, 2014

Here is what I received yesterday... Probably one of the dirtiest watches i've seen.

[​IMG]
    (no I was not drunk when taking the picture and the autofocus of my camera worked well. The dial is simply blurred by corrosion and dirt!)

[​IMG]
    (a picture of the dial without th glass....)

[​IMG]
    (the Inside is in line with the outside)

I forgot to take pictures of the sides of the case and of the lugs, The case serial dates it from around 1945, I can't figure out how in only 60 years, such a thick layer of ... I don't really know what material deposited there!

After a cleaning, here is how it looks. Of course I've changed the dial, there was nothing to do to have it look like a dial again.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    (this was the only non redone dial I had that fitted this case. BTW I like its patina.

[​IMG]

I couldn't change the glass because of its specific shape, and it is heavily scratched. I've tried polywatch on it without any result, I guess it is mineral glass and not plexi. But it is what gives this watch its nice look :

[​IMG]

I'm quite happy of the result and really like this shape. I need to look for the reference now.

Rman, UncleBuck and Fritz like this.
  2. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jul 26, 2014

A good watchmaker should be able to source a replacement of even an unusual crystal like that.

If not, try these guys. I've heard they can custom make almost any shape of crystal:

http://www.crystalfit.com/crystalshapes.html

You could probably e-mail pictures with one of your famous ads, and they can tell you if it's in stock.

Good luck,
    gatorcpa