Forums Latest Members
  1. Utterlyprep May 22, 2014

The people of the UG forum,

I am new to the forum (although I have dropped in on the forum for some time). Ever since first reading about Ben Clymer's "Pete Fullerton" tricompax, through Hodinkee, I've become sort-of obsessed with vintage tricompax/compax Universals; spending a good deal of my spare time at university checking out this forum, ebay, chrono24 etc.

Anyway, I figure that since my 21st birthday is fast approaching, now might be the perfect time to look at committing to my first UG.

I've found a couple that I'm fond of at the moment, and rather hoped that the you might offer some thoughts on them.

First up, is a 1939 Unicompax in steel, and what I think is an absolutely fantastic looking dial, which is apparently original; it also comes with its original box.

universal-unicompax.gif
    I was also wondering if anyone would be able to tell me more about the U logo on the dial, as I've scarcely seen many UG's with this logo.
    universal-unicompax-2.gif universal-unicompax-6.gif universal-unicompax-5.gif

Second is a 50's 18K compax (I wasn't sure about the crown-case combo on this one).

http://www.chrono24.com/en/universa...arch&tab=details&urlSubpath=/search/index.htm

Anyway, I'd really appreciate your thoughts on both of these, particularly about condition/originality and worthiness of consideration.

Thanks.

2. MMMD unaffiliated curmudgeonly absurdist & polyologist May 22, 2014

Welcome. Good thinking coming here before your purchase. The steel Unicompax's dial is indeed fantastic, but I'm afraid not original... over-inked, wrong fonts, and that logo looks like something from a '60's UG bracelet... allow me to dip into LouS's photobucket...

[​IMG]

3. woodwkr2 May 22, 2014

MMMD has called it right. I'd avoid that watch at any price.

4. Utterlyprep May 22, 2014

Thanks, to you both!

5. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member May 22, 2014

Wot they said about the first one. The second is grotty, overpolished and overpriced. Be patient and get one you can be proud of.

6. Utterlyprep Jun 8, 2014

Thanks LouS,

I've come across one that certainly seems to be cleaner and hopefully you'll all be able to let me know what you think about this one:

$_57.JPG $_57 (1).JPG $_57 (2).JPG $_57 (3).JPG

Thanks

7. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Jun 8, 2014

I like it. The case in particular is in very fine condition. A look at the movement is always a good idea.

Utterlyprep likes this.
  8. Utterlyprep Jun 9, 2014

I managed to get a picture of the movement and inside of the caseback:

$_57 (5).JPG $_57 (4).JPG

9. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Jun 9, 2014

That looks alright as well. Nice piece in my opinion. Others?