Forums Latest Members

My First Speedy: How did i do at the Watches of Knightsbridge Auction: 145.012-67

1. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Mar 15, 2014

Amen. Ditto selling through an auction house under normal circumstances. With the internet to disseminate information and provide an automated middleman, either in the form of auction sites or watch listing sites such as fora, there is little need to pay the middleman that much. We've seen auction houses fall down on their responsibility to vet for mechanical integrity and authenticity too often to pay for those services.

2. JohnSteed Mar 15, 2014

IMHO the watch is a good pickup. Even if the first for Mr Luzer, considering a good service will clean it up pretty good, I think. Plus those 1039 bracelet prices are on the move, upward. Also, buying from an auction house may not get you the best price. ok. but seems a good pickup, still

But for a first purchase, you landed right in the sweet spot: don bezel, nice bracelet and dial. Crown, can just barely see it, but it looks good. Hold on to this one, for a long while ...

Over time your Speedie senses will be honed. Welcome. and Congrats!

luzer likes this.
  3. citizenrich Metal Mixer! Mar 16, 2014

I've never paid too much for a watch. I might have paid too little but I never paid too much.

most everyone who posts here is experienced at the game so you know exactly what I mean.

Spacefruit and Jimmy Jim like this.
  4. SpikiSpikester @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 16, 2014

Crown was the original ;).

JohnSteed likes this.
  5. initialjh Mar 16, 2014

can i congratulate you on a lovely watch and the lovely 1039 bracelet.

This is your first Speedy 321 and it won't be the last. It's a good start. Have the watch serviced and it'll serve you well for many years.

Don't worry about what price you paid - you are happy and that's it!

Look forward to you receiving the watch soon.

6. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Mar 16, 2014

oh yes

7. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Mar 16, 2014

Theoretically good but you can miss out on some really good ones this way. I try not to overpay as well but some of the best vintage watches I have are those that I "overpaid" for at the time but looking back now look like great deals. And my greatest regrets in this hobby are the watches I didn't "overpay" for - they linger in my memory while my greatest bargains are quickly forgotten (well most of them anyway).

8. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Mar 16, 2014

Golly yes - false economy. Of course we have been blessed with constantly rising values for these little babies we collect for years now.

9. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 16, 2014

I think Frank means that he may have paid a lot for a watch that might have seen excessive, but that the watch was exceptional and worth paying that premium now or in the future, so therefor he did not pay too much.. If I am incorrect I am sure he will tell us ;)

Dablitzer and citizenrich like this.
  10. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Mar 16, 2014

i think we are all saying the same thing.
    IE that overpaying for a good watch is not overpaying in the long run.

i never remember how much I paid for a great watch after a while.
    but everytime I look at a less expensive one, with a problem, I remember exactly how much it cost.

citizenrich and SpikiSpikester like this.
  11. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Mar 16, 2014

Let us quote bon vivant and kite enthusiast Ben Franklin: " the bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten."

and its watch-collecting corollary "The sting of a high price is obliterated by the sweetness of a beautiful object"
    http://omegaforums.net/threads/the-ben-franklin-corollary.7359/

12. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 16, 2014

Alright now, everyone gather around Dennis as he leads us in round of Kumbaya :D
    Pete-Seeger.21.jpg

13. citizenrich Metal Mixer! Mar 17, 2014

sorry if my language was a bit clumsy but I meant exactly what you wrote.

14. Dablitzer Mar 17, 2014

I understand what you mean mate. But what I wanna know now is, how much is your too much?!! :whistling: ;)

15. Northernman Lemaniac Mar 17, 2014

16. Northernman Lemaniac Mar 17, 2014

Too much is when you have to chose a cheaper Whiskey due to the purchase..... ::beer::

MMMD likes this.
  17. Dablitzer Mar 17, 2014

Wow....I must be doing something wrong...? all I can seem to afford is water. I'll leave this one as a rhetorical ;)

Northernman likes this.
  18. luzer Mar 17, 2014

thank you all for the advice, constructive criticism, and general words of support. appreciate it all.

now on to purchasing, servicing, and strapping.

a forum member reached out to me suggesting i service the watch in the UK (mentioned some names), and save on tax (i am in the USA, NYC).
    any advise on this one? sending my brand new purchase directly from the auction house to another person sounding against my instinct, but i am sure i have something to learn here, too.

thoughts?

CJ

19. luzer Mar 17, 2014

also, what type of servicing would it need?

20. woodwkr2 Mar 17, 2014

How would that save you on taxes?--wouldn't you pay VAT instead of USA customs?

It cuts out one more time that you have to risk it in the mail, so I think it's a great idea.

I can think of two UK based watchmakers (who both take plenty of pictures) that I could recommend. Sounds like you've gotten some input there, but PM me if you want me to pass along the names.