Forums Latest Members

More Pics Of Amsterdam Speedy Tuesday Event

1. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 3, 2013

It really is a remarkably beautiful city to visit, even from the air the greenery and neat rows of buildings is in stark contrast to Australian cities which are somewhat more like an ant's nest.

I have to say when Robert-Jan first started talking about putting together this event much earlier in the year, I was both really impressed that someone was creating a gathering for Omega collectors and rather nervous about the size of the undertaking, as its really never been done before for Speedmaster fans. I had figured 25-30 would be a difficult but respectable number in terms of turnout, but in the end more than twice that number came along, and the entire event was just so well put together that I have to take my hat off to Robert-Jan for the incredible work he put into it.

James Ragan was everything you would expect of a NASA test engineer, and when he says he tested all of the watches that were submitted exhaustively and methodically, he's dead serious, even political pressures at the time didn't enter into the equation, it was merely a matter of which chronograph will stand up to the job and that result is now rather obvious. He owns several Speedmasters these days and was wearing an Apollo-Soyuz meteorite edition (Apparently he saw a prototype of it Omega had produced before production and decided he had to have one even before it was released). Truly a wealth of knowledge on Speedmasters and their connection with the space program.

It was also great getting to meet Petros and Alain from Omega, I had no idea Omega had young guys like Alain with such an incredible depth of knowledge and passion working in the archive and museum, it definitely feels like Omega's heritage is in good hands.

I'll definitely be planning a trip back to the Netherlands and Europe again before too long and make it an extended stay, can't wait for the next big gathering of Omega collectors!

IMG_4769.JPG

Didn't want to risk too much through customs so just took the Gemini IV Limited Edition & The Calibre 321 145.012-67

IMG_4743.JPG IMG_4786.JPG IMG_4787.JPG

Omega were kind enough to bring their Speedmaster related Baselworld 2013 pieces, the Speedmaster 57 in 18K solid gold looks so much more impressive in the metal than it does in press pictures, I was genuinely bowled over by this one!

IMG_4794.JPG

Plenty of very serious Speedy fans were in attendance, every time there was someone walking around with a briefcase you wondered just what cool toys were there, this full set of Speedmaster Mark series watches really impressed me

IMG_4793.JPG

Lunch was brilliant, and Omega had brought along an incredible selection of vintage pieces from the museum, all hiding under glass domes

IMG_4800.JPG IMG_4806.JPG

This one was fascinating, a Seamaster Professional prototype for the X-33 Mars Speedmaster

IMG_4808.JPG IMG_4809.JPG

An assortment of Speedmasters, from the 1950s through to the 1970s

IMG_4814.JPG

18K Solid Gold '69 Commemorative Speedmaster Pro

IMG_4813.JPG IMG_4816.JPG

Alaska Project prototypes

IMG_4818.JPG IMG_4815.JPG IMG_4817.JPG

More Alaska Projects

IMG_4820.JPG IMG_4822.JPG

This one doesn't particularly need any introduction

IMG_4825.JPG IMG_4829.JPG

More pics at Fratello and many many other places: http://www.fratellowatches.com/speedy-tuesday-event-photo-report/

2. Alpha Kilt Owner, Beagle Parent, Omega Collector Nov 3, 2013

Brilliant, thank you for sharing :thumbsup:

3. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Nov 3, 2013

Superb.......holding that 2915 must felt special.

4. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 3, 2013

There were actually several 2915s including a FAP, they're just brilliant :D

Privateday7 likes this.
  5. Robert-Jan #SpeedyTuesday Nov 3, 2013

Thanks for the write-up! It was great to have you here in our cold & rainy country (did you guys know that Ash didn't even bring a coat... :)). In the meanwhile, I received several mails from people who attended the event that they ordered, bought or traded Speedmasters after the event as it inspired them :)

Although I love the CK2915s (I think there were 2 or 3 of them), I really prefer the CK2998. I might be looking for one myself in the near future.

RJ

6. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Nov 3, 2013

CK 2998-2 or 3 with lollipop hands are very cool.......

7. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 3, 2013

Yea... I sort of turned up in the Netherlands wearing a polo shirt and trousers, which in fairness, is what you wear in winter in Australia ;)

I didn't realise until I got there that a coat or jacket was probably a lot more important than the three pairs of shorts and T-shirts I'd packed :whistling:

So for future reference, Amsterdam is quite cold.

LittleOnion and trev like this.
  8. Trev The Architect Staff Member Nov 4, 2013

We are quite spoiled when it comes to climate. It's too easy to forget that other places aren't always sunny and warm. :)

9. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 4, 2013

Good Gawd man, how could you forget this:::facepalm2::

10. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Nov 5, 2013

CanCon at it's best!